The Road Ahead

Lo'ak realises there are a lot of holes in his plan. 

One, he hasn't even ever kissed Tsireya. He is aware that she likes him, but it might be too soon for her. 

Two, just because he asks to court Tsireya, doesn't mean their parents will suddenly let Ao'nung and Neteyam do the same.

Three, he's too scared to court her. 
For now.
He will definitely do it! Eventually. One day. When he is older. A lot older.

He's walking along the shore when he spots Neteyam talking to Ao'nung in broad daylight weeks after he last snuck out after his brother. They're alone - Lo'ak wonders if they notice just how close to one another they're standing. Either way, he's too sad to care. He turns to walk away.

Lo'ak is haunted by his past. All the times Jake Sully called him a disappointment. All the times he was trying to talk to his father and he just got brushed off, like he didn't even matter. But one argument is particularly presistant. Perhaps because it only happened a few days ago when he accidentally dropped a plate of food right onto his parents' sleeping mat.

"I swear to god, Lo'ak," Jake had hissed, pushing him away to clean up the mess himself. "Eywa only put you on this planet to cause me grief."

Lo'ak had stood silently, ignoring the horrified look on his sister's face. Kiri had tried to take his hand in her own, but he was too hurt to let her, pulling away and hanging his head.

He cannot help wondering if it was just a rash mistake on his father's part, or if he really did view Lo'ak in such a way.

It did not matter. 

Lo'ak stopped causing trouble exactly three years ago - after the battle. Occasionally, he would sneek out at night to see Payakan or snoop in his brother, but beyond that and his few moments of clumsiness, he did not think he was so bad. 

The hurt went away a little when his father hugged him goodnight just as he did every night to all of his children. 

Lo'ak sighs, shaking his head. He does not know what to do.

He wants to practise weaving with those new, funky techniques, but his baskets fall apart (kind of the same way he himself does when nobody is nearby). He cannot handle the thought of making a mistake - not today. Because today marks exactly three years since he almost got his brother killed. And they didn't even manage to rescue Spider.

And Quaritch isn't dead. They saw him flying away.

Kiri had been heart broken to learn that they had absolutely no idea where Spider was; Lo'ak misses him too, but he hides it because he doesn't want anyone to know he has feelings. It's safer that way.

Even if his mother sometimes hisses at him for being so distant.

He turned back to look at his brother again; he's got a hand placed on Ao'nung's upper arm, thumb rubbing gently. They seem lost in each other.

"Hey, Lo'ak!"

Lo'ak blinks in surprise and turns back around (he's going to get dizzy from all this turning). "Tsireya!"

"How are you?" She asks gently with a soft smile on her face, twirling a strand of her hair playfully, tugging the curl straight before letting it bounce back. 

Lo'ak cannot help the smile that blossoms on his face. He wants to kiss her. He really does. They're both considered adults by the clan but he's still reluctant. "I'm good. How are you?"

Tsireya giggles behind her hand and takes him by the arm, tugging him to their little secret spot. He follows her like a lovestruck puppy and wonders how she can be so perfect. "It is a very beautiful day today, Lo'ak."