Secrets Untold

Lo'ak doesn't tell anyone what he did. 

He doesn't feel like anyone actually needs to know. He doesn't need advice and he doesn't want anyone to tell him what to do — or tell him he's made yet another mistake. 

Tsireya acts as though nothing happened between them, but they both know better, sharing secret smiles and bolder touches even in broad daylight. 

Lo'ak is happy with her in ways he doesn't feel happy with anyone else. 

Even as weeks pass,  they do not return to their secret place. Lo'ak doesn't mind — it's safer this way. He isn't even sure how they avoided some less than pleasant possibilities. He doesn't want to think about it — didn't think about it until one afternoon Tsireya came up to him and whispered in his ear. 

He had flushed so bright and Tsireya had giggled as she watched Lo'ak figure out exactly why she decided to let him know that she's bleeding.

"That's great–" Lo'ak had whispered eventually, unsure what to do, if he should touch her shoulder or anywhere else. 

She laced their fingers and squeezed gently. 

"But wait–" Lo'ak gasped. "How do you swim?"

Tsireya had informed him of everything he needs to know with the excuse that he might have a daughter of his own one day before she was off, rushing away to return to her duties as Tsahik in training.

Lo'ak laughs at the memory, rubbing a hand over his face. It's funny that he's old enough to worry about such things now. 

His smile freezes when he spots Ao'nung stomping over to him; Lo'ak stands beside Neteyam, tensing. 

"Is he mad at you?" Loak asks quickly.

Neteyam shrugs and tilts his head, eyeing Ao'nung as he makes his way over. "Why would he be?" 

"Fuck." Lo'ak turns away and scurries into the forest in the middle of the island, bolting up the nearest tree just as Ao'nung bursts inside with Neteyam following after him.

Neither of them can see Lo'ak perched on a branch, hidden by large leaves and shadows. 

"What is it?" Neteyam asks gently, placing a hand on Ao'nung's arm. 

Lo'ak takes a shaky breath. Of course Tsireya told her brother. 

Ao'nung nudges himself free and crosses his arms (something awfully human that he's picked up from spending too much time with Neteyam). 

"Where is he?"

Neteyam shrugs, an amused smile tugging on his lips. "I don't know." 

Neteyam isn't just anyone. Lo'ak can see even from so far away how his eyes twinkle knowingly and the very moment Ao'nung realises that Neteyam knows what his little brother had done some weeks ago.

Ao'nung gasps in offence, shoulders tense. "You knew!" 

"Of course I knew," Neteyam laughs softly, shaking his head in disbelief. "I'm his older brother. He comes to me when he has something he wants to discuss with someone." 

Ao'nung whines helplessly, startling Lo'ak. He's never seen the Metcayina act this way. "They're not adults yet! And they aren't even courting!" 

Neteyam hums. "Yes. You're right." 

Ao'nung takes a deep breath. "And before us!"

At this, Neteyam lets out a startled laugh, shaking his head. Lo'ak eyes the pieces of red shells adorning the both of them subtly. He rolls his eyes and sits back, accidentally knocking a bunch of leaves from the branch he's perches on.