10

Once the meeting ended, the room emptied like a deflating balloon, everyone eager to escape the stifling atmosphere. Yuki, closest to the door, slipped out first, but she paused to wait for Masamichi. She stood against the wall, her back pressed against the cool concrete, her arms crossed protectively over her chest.

Principal Gakuganji exited last, his head held high and his eyes narrowed in disapproval. He didn't bother to acknowledge Yuki; his lips were pursed in a thin line.

Masamichi followed, closing the door behind him with a soft click. He turned left, heading towards the room where Hanako was being held. He didn't notice Yuki at first, but then she cleared her throat, her voice sharp and clear.

Masamichi whirled around, his eyes widening in surprise when he saw her. Yuki stood before him, her chin raised defiantly. Her eyes sparkled like sapphires, and her lips curled into a challenging smirk.

"Ms. Tsukumo," he said, his voice laced with caution. "Are you still here?"

"You can drop the formalities," she said, resting her hand on her hip. "Just call me Yuki. Mr. Yaga."

Masamichi hesitated. He was used to addressing her as Ms. Tsukumo, but he could see that she was determined to be treated as an equal. "Very well, Yuki," he said. "Is there something that you need?"

"You're on your way to release Hanako, is that correct?" she asked.

He nodded.

"Very well," she said. "I would like to accompany you. I want to meet this girl for myself. Give her the good news, if that's alright with you."

Masamichi hesitated again. He wasn't sure if it was wise to let Yuki meet Hanako, but he couldn't deny that she was the one who had persuaded the rest of the higher-ups to release her. "You know that the higher-ups are not happy about this, and I doubt they would become happy knowing you went down to speak with Hanako," he said.

Yuki shrugged. "I don't care," she said. "I'm going to meet her anyway."

Masamichi sighed. "Very well," he said.

She walked past him, her hips swaying confidently. Masamichi followed her, his mind racing. He couldn't believe that he was actually going to let her meet Hanako. But somehow, he knew that it was the right thing to do.

Yuki's tone of voice turned playful as she said, "So, in the meantime, while we walk there, how about you tell me what kind of woman is your type?" She walked along with him and winked at him, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

Masamichi raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

..........

Yuki and Masamichi's footsteps echoed through the empty hallway as they descended the long, spiraling staircase to the basement level of the school. Yuki playfully nudged Masamichi and said, "You want to have a race to the bottom?" Her mischievous grin lit up her face, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

Masamichi shook his head, chuckling nervously. "No way; you'd definitely beat me. I'm not the fastest runner."

Yuki shrugged, her laughter echoing through the hallway. "Well, it would have been fun to see you try."

They continued walking down the stairs, Yuki's laughter echoing through the empty hallway. Her laughter was like a beacon of light in the darkness, dispelling the shadows and creating a sense of warmth and camaraderie.

In the basement, Hanako was chained to a chair in a dimly lit room. The only light came from the flickering candles surrounding her, casting eerie shadows on the walls. Her wrists were raw from struggling against the chains, and she could feel the blisters forming. Her ankles were also bound, and the chains were cutting off her circulation.