01

Miami 2023

"Name?"

I give the lady behind the desk a bright smile. "Indy"

She gives me a pointed look from over her glasses, "Full name."

I feel my cheeks heat up and clear my throat, flashing the older woman an awkward smile. "Sorry, it's Indy Piastri." I pull my wallet out and hand the lady, who I have now noted is named Lynda, my ID.

Lynda looks at the ID, glances up at me and then moves her eyes back to the computer in front of her. She hands the ID back, types away for a minute and then reaches into her desk to hand me two key cards.

"You'll be on the 7th floor, room 716," she flashes me a flat smile, "enjoy your stay."

I gather my things and make my way back over to my best friend, Cora, who's busied herself in her phone while I took care of getting our room squared away. She looks up and pockets her phone when she hears me approaching.

"Are we set?"

I hold the two key cards up in between us and tilt my head at her. "No, she told me the room won't be ready until 4."

Cora stands up and takes the extra key from my hand and deadpans at me. "Ha ha, you're hilarious. You might wanna consider giving up the singing career and follow your true calling as a comedian."

I bump my shoulder with hers as we make our way towards the elevator.

"I mean, I could easily be the next Matt Rife."

Cora places her hand over heart and gives me an offended look, "Don't ever disrespect him like that again. You could never replace him."

I roll my eyes at her dramatics and pull my phone out when it starts buzzing in my pocket. I smile, tap the green button and bring the phone up to my ear.

"Oscar, how's my favorite brother?"

He breathes out a laugh, "I'm your only brother but I'll take it." I smile. "Have you made it to the hotel yet?"

Now it's my turn to laugh. "Yes dad I have. We're all checked in and in the elevator going up to the room as we speak." He may be the younger one out of the two of us, but he worries about me like an older sibling would.

"Did they get you on the same floor as us? I tried putting my undeniable charm on the front desk lady but she gave absolutely no emotional giveaways so I don't know if I was successful or not."

"I don't know where you guys are, but the key card is for the 7th floor."

I can practically hear his grin through the phone. "Your boy has still got it." I laugh as I hear shuffling on the other end and the sound of a door opening and closing. "I'll meet you at the elevators." And with that, he hung up the phone.

"Are you excited?"

I turn my head to face Cora and nod my head excitedly.

"Overly excited... maybe even a little nervous."

She tilts her head in confusion. "Why are you nervous, he's your brother."

I watch the floor numbers pass by in what seems like slow motion. "I don't know. I guess it's because I haven't seen him, in person, in almost 6 years."

Towards the end of 2016 when I was 17, I got signed to a music label based out of LA and a couple months into 2017, I made the move out there from Australia.

I feel like ever since I moved, my life has been nonstop. Between putting out albums, touring the states and making all different kinds of appearances, I haven't been able to make it back home or to any of his races in like, ever.