04

Miami 2023

Friday and Saturday were filled with free practices, hanging out with Kika and Lando's friend, Max, around the paddock and a pretty good qualifying session.

Oscar ended up qualifying P3, his first time making it to the front of the grid since he started in F1 and the kid is over the moon about it. He's got Lando right behind him in P4, with Charles and Max ahead of him in P2 and P1.

Right now, we're standing in the McLaren garage, waiting around for the drivers parade to start so we can get on with the race.

Cora is over in the corner talking to Max and I'm standing beside Oscar as he listens intently to what the mechanics are saying about the car. I notice him chewing on his bottom lip, a nervous habit he picked up at an early age.

When the mechanic gets pulled away by a pit crew member, I pull Oscar into a side hug, pulling his attention down to me.

"Hey, you okay?"

He gives me a tight smile. "That obvious that I'm nervous?"

I point up towards his face, "you're doing that lip thing you've been doing since your karting days."

"I just don't want to mess this up for the team today. The first few races were tough because I was still trying to get used to the car so the low placings were kind of understandable then," he sighs, "but now it's obvious that I've gotten the hang of it and everyone in here is expecting more out of me."

I comfortingly rub his back, "I have no doubt in my mind that you can handle this today Oscar. You're just as talented, if not more, than every driver on the track. If you weren't, you wouldn't be here."

I point at his head, "you just need to get out of here and focus on what you need to do out there today to either hold position or climb higher."

He wraps me in a hug and rests his cheek on top of my head. "I've missed the Indy pep talks before races. You always know what I need to hear to get my mind back into the right place."

I pull back and give him a smile. "What else are sisters for?"

"Well their main purpose is to be annoying but..." I give him a shove and roll my eyes.
"Hey now, don't damage the driver, you psycho."

"You're insufferable sometimes."

He gives me a toothy grin, "you love me."

As his PR manager comes over to lead him to the track for the drivers parade, I call out, "only because I have to!"

I turn on my heel to head over to Cora and run straight into someone's chest.

"Seriously Indy, we've got to stop running into each other like this. I'm starting to think it's on purpose."

I step back and smooth out the front of my white blazer, noting how his eyes follow the movement of my hands.

"Maybe you should start paying attention to your surroundings a little more carefully."

Lando lets out a laugh and looks down at me. "The thing is, I normally look ahead when I'm walking, not down."

I reach out and pat his shoulder with a laugh.
"Okay hot shot, you're not that much taller than me."

He pouts his lip out and places his hand over his chest. "You didn't have to hit me where it hurts."

"I think you'll be just fine." We both turn our heads when the sound of someone calling his name comes from the front of the garage.

"Duty calls," he gives me a wink and when he goes to step by my me, he leans his head close to my ear, "the lace looks good by the way."

My eyes widen the slightest bit at his comment as he walks away to join the other drivers on the grid.