7.The Battle

Jennie stood with Jisoo and Rosé by a tree as the three of them watched their surroundings with silence.

Ethan had chosen the spot in the woods, completely secluded from the town and away from any humans. All the pack members were there, standing off to one side and sizing up the lone wolves who stood at their own spots beneath the glow of their Mother Moon and the darkness of their Shadow King.

"They all look strong," Jisoo commented worriedly, taking in the sight of very well-built young strangers.

"But dumb," Rosé assured with a nod.

Jennie had seen Lalisa the moment she arrived, still looking as dangerous and as beautiful as the last time she'd seen her. And she mentally cursed her for it.

"I can't believe you're not participating, Jennie," Jisoo said fearfully,

The blonde shrugged. "It's my choice," she said, tearing her eyes away from Lalisa.

Rosé rolled her eyes. "Right," she said skeptically, "And it's not because of that certain brown-haired honey we ran into a few days ago . . . "

Jennie became silent.

Lalisa' eyes stayed on her, not bothering to study and examine her other competition. She couldn't help it. She couldn't look away when she was looking so glorious with her blond hair up in a twist, dressed in a light-yellow top that bared her neck and shoulder, a dark olive-green skirt that went down past her knees, and a pair of vintage heels.

Lalisa smiled.

Looking sexy for the battle, a trophy worth showing off to stimulate those who were fighting for the name as the Slayer Clan's pack leader.

And boy was it working.

Lalisa could tell from the numerous amounts of looks the other males threw at her, except Eunwoo who has had his eyes on Jennie's brunette friend, that they would go to any lengths to win this particular battle for her.

"Attention!"

Everyone looked at Arthur who stood on the middle of a circle white stones half dug into the ground. The old man was dressed in an old gray robe, a rope tied around his waist. He stared at the crowd, his blue eyes twinkling with an unknown force.

"It is time!" he shouted, and the gathered group of werewolves roared in cheer. Friends laughed and embraced each other, wishing them luck. The group quickly morphed into wolf form, barely waiting another second. The sounds of bone crunching and the sudden growls and howls of the changing animals permeated the air like a song in the night.

"Those who will fight for leadership, step forward," Arthur ordered, and the group obeyed as males of all different shades and sizes stepped into the circle.

"My prayers and wishes go out to all of you," Arthur said sincerely, "The last wolf standing will be named as the Slayer Clan's pack leader." He stepped away from the circle. "The battle begins . . . now!"

With a thunderous rumble of roars, werewolves lunged at each other with feral attacks. Jennie watched on in fear and fascination as Lalisa, notorious in black coat, attacked the nearest male, biting him with her large and powerful jaws.

The male went down with a whimper as Arthur pulled him out of the circle before his companions, who chose not to fight, dragged him away from the crowd. Time seemed to go on as more of the males sauntered out of the circle with broken bones, bleeding wounds, and other major injuries.

And Jennie watched with complete enthrallment as Lalisa took down every single male that came at her. She looked so powerful, a magnificent specimen of a werewolf. Her eyes gleamed with animalistic passion as she bared her teeth, showing off her sharp canines with a growl. Her dark eyes, now specked with amber and yellow, stared at the challengers with violence and fierceness.