18. The Talk

A soft knock on the double doors stirred Jennie out of her deep thoughts. She sighed and did not answer, wanting to be left alone with her contemplations and over all pathetic brooding. But before she could go back to her moping and self-pitying, the door to the locked room at the end of the North Wing opened.

Jisoo entered the large room. It was as enormous as a bedroom combined with a study area. An old and battered mini sized merry-go-round sat quietly in the middle of the still and quiet space. The sporadic twinkling of an old tune emitting from it was the only sign that it was once grand and beautiful from a time long gone.

A single window at the far end gave off the only light, a few rays of the sun as big as a throw pillow caressing the floor. It gently created a certain glow and picturesque scene of the tear-stained young woman sitting sadly on the tarnished carousel horse.

Jennie didn't even look up from her seat on a rusty white horse with the dirty and chipped pink and lavender saddle.

She had asked Lalisa a few weeks before to maybe move the entire thing into the large garden in the backyard for the twins and the upcoming new generation of the Slayer Clan.

Her idea was then turned into a flirting frenzy about copulating.

"Hey," Jisoo said gently.

"Hi."

Silence.

"Lalisa is looking for you," Jisoo finally said.

"Oh," was Jennie's only reply as she continued to stare off into space.

Jisoo sighed at her friend's lack of response and carefully sat down on another white horse with a blue and pink saddle with dark blue reins that had a few dirty smudges on it. "What happened, Jennie?" she asked, staring at the face of her long-time friend and confidante.

"How did you find me?" Jennie asked, changing the topic of their conversation.

Jisoo sighed and then smiled impishly, trying to lighten the tension in the air that came off in waves from Jennie. "I know you. When you don't want to be found, you go to the one place where anyone would least expect to find you."

"Except for you," the golden one retorted.

"I'm your best friend," Jisoo said quirkily.

Silence.

"What's wrong?" Jisoo asked, sensing the amount of negative feelings Jennie was releasing in tidal waves. It was like a tsunami of torrent emotions that was a mix of pain . . . defeat, and sorrow.

"It doesn't matter," Jennie answered, her head resting once again on the rusty pole that has once been as shiny and as golden as a wedding band.

"Of course, it does," Jisoo urged, "You're my best friend . . . and I know something's wrong, and I want to be able to help you . . . Cause that's what I do."

Jennie said nothing and Jisoo became even more concerned and frantic. Jennie was usually so alive and vibrant, even after McQueen' death, Jennie was able to pick herself up. Maybe not as quickly, but it was her father after all. But this . . . this was just strange and completely new. She had never seen Jennie so down and so depressed.

"Please, Jennie?" the redhead asked hopefully, "Let me help you."

Jennie let out a breath, sending the dust that had gathered on the horse in the air, and causing it to encircle her like a cloud of snow. "I know you mean well, but I just . . . I don't want to talk about it right now . . . "