29. The Panic

Lalisa was out of her mind.

She had raced through the woods, hoping to catch up with her mate . . . trying to search for her scent or any sign of where she had headed. But she was too frantic to concentrate, so she just ran into the woods, hoping to find her and explain . . . hoping that it wasn't too late.

Oh god . . .

If she had ruined her relationship with Jennie . . . if she had lost her because of her stupid actions . . .

She groaned.

Lalisa continued running, past trees and fallen logs. Her heart pounding angrily against her chest, punishing her for her heartache . . . as well as her mate's. The sound of an owl hooting in the distance reached her ears. The songs of the crickets drifted in the air, a medley of the night. The night was her home . . . she was safe in the night, but could she say the same for Jennie?

And with that thought . . . she ran faster, searching for her other half, the one who had finally made her complete. She hunted for any sign, any indication where Jennie might have been.

But Lalisa found nothing . . . and she found no one.

She collapsed on the ground in utter exhaustion, her breathing labored as her lungs broke out into a surging fire that started to consume her insides. But she didn't seem to care. Something was wrong. She could feel it, and her physical pain didn't equal the ache in her soul and heart.

Her eyes caught something on the ground, hiding slightly beneath a few fallen leaves.

Her hand reached out . . . and found 'Her Ring'.

"Oh God . . . " she groaned in defeat before crying out her anguish into the skies. This wasn't happening. It just couldn't be happening. She clasped the ring in her hand . . . and for the first time in years . . . she was fearful, utterly, and completely terrified.

Lalisa stumbled on her feet before racing back to the mansion, hoping against all odds that Jennie would be there, waiting for her . . . ready to hear her explanation of why she broke her heart.

But Lisa knew, without even searching, that she wasn't there. She knew it deep within her heart . . . because it also recognized the feeling of distance . . . that it's mate was gone . . . out of her reach.

And that caused her even more anguish.

"Lalisa?"

"Where is she?" she growled, running frantically through the halls, peering her head in the kitchen and the dining room, the living room, and the game room. It was pointless. She wasn't here, damnit!

"Where's who?" Joyce asked worriedly after watching Lalisa face blaze in utter panic and horror.

Lalisa collapsed to the floor in front of the staircase, staring in space as everything inside her . . . all her strength and will dulling into utter grief and torment. She had betrayed her, not in the sense that she actually did, but the picture of Diana on top of her . . . she had betrayed her. And she didn't even have the chance to explain . . . of her fear of what Diana held in her hands . . . the proof that would have torn Jennie away from her.

Lalisa laughed bitterly, the tone hollow and frenzied. A stupid phone that voiced out her harshness. Jennie was too pure and innocent to hear those words . . . especially when it came from her. It would have frightened her. But it was still ironic to know that she didn't have to listen to that for Jennie to turn away from her . . . just the position she had found her with Diana was enough. And it had meant nothing . . . not as she did.