24. The Enemy

"You have to keep your head high, Bite Size," Kai said, lifting Cole's arms a bit more as the young boy clutched the baseball bat with forlorn concentration.

"I'll never get this right," he complained, this being his fifth try at hitting the ball.

Kai frowned at him and chucked his chin. "Never show weakness, kid," Kai whispered, "Never let them hear you whine. It's not manly."

Cole's eyes widened in shock and purposely stood taller as he stared at Dylan with more confidence on his young face.

"That's it," Kai coached.

Cole nodded and fixed his brother a dangerous stare inside their playroom, and Kai smiled proudly at the hint of werewolf characteristic that went along with that glare.

The room was quiet except for the hum of the fan above their heads. Their only audience was the set of Disney characters painted on the walls as well as the numerous amounts of stuffed toys that littered the corners around them.

"You ready, Kid?" Kai yelled over Dylan who stood at the far end of the playroom with a trace of mischief in his twinkling blue eyes.

Dylan nodded and took a deep breath, trying to stare down his brother with his own fixed stare before throwing the ball in the air and towards Cole.

But before his twin could hit it . . . someone caught it instead . . .

"Nice throw, twerp," Diana smirked at Dylan as she tossed her dark hair behind her.

The boy gaped at her, irritated and insulted, as she threw the ball in the air and caught it once more with a clear smack as the surface hit her palm.

Kai rolled his eyes and groaned under his breath.

Him and Diana did NOT get along.

It was just something about her . . . the darkness that obviously encircled her and the bitterness that consumed her.

"What ya want . . . Precious?" Kai fancied the name 'slut' when it came to Diana, but not in front of the boys. After all, he was the 'super-cool' older brother for the twins . . . didn't want to be a bad influence or anything.

"I need to talk to you," Diana said with dead seriousness as she pitched the ball to a very startled Cole, who caught it against his stomach with a small 'oomph.'

The twins frowned at her for her callousness.

Kai shrugged and followed the dark-haired beauty out the playroom doors.

"Keep practicing,' " he ordered the twins with a light smirk before he closed the door behind them.

Diana scratched the back of her head, deep in thought as she tried to replay what she was going to say in her mind . . . the pros and the cons of the plan.

She crossed her arms against her chest, biting her bottom lip as she began pacing.

Kai began itching for a cigarette.

"I'm gonna ask you again," Kai said slowly and gravely, "Spit it out."

She stopped in the middle of the hall and finally stared up at him.

"I have a deal I'd like to discuss with you."

Kai leaned casually against the wall. "What kind of deal?" he asked, " 'Cause one thing's for sure, I ain't bloody well gonna sleep with you if you were the last person on this earth."