xiii. the very first night

whatever gets you thru the night;❛ LONG STORY SHORT ❜❝ she was like oxygen ❞

❛ LONG STORY SHORT ❜
❝ she was like oxygen ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ELLIE: It was hard not to form an emotional connection with Daisy. We spent so much time together discussing our emotions and pouring our hearts out into songs.

I would call her at two in the morning when I couldn't sleep just to discuss the song that I was writing.

It was great to form a new kind of connection with Billy, too, but it was different with Daisy.

DAISY: We must have written eight or nine songs in just the first couple of weeks. I would have an idea and Ella would flesh it out while Billy would come up with a riff and someone would come up with a melody line. Or Ella and I would connect our ideas, different lyrics or melodies and form it into one song.

BILLY: When you're making an album, any album, it's an intimate thing. I mean, it has to be.

DAISY: Which isn't to say we didn't...fight.

ELLIE: Oh, yeah, we were fighting all the time.

WARREN: For a month it was like that. We'd be, we'd be in the studio, you know, recording all the arrangements. Even Billy would be there. And Ellie and Daisy would be who knows where, doing god knows what.

EDDIE: Every day, they'd come in with something new.

KAREN: I mean, great fucking songs.

EDDIE: And every night, they'd come in giggling like two little schoolgirls.

WARREN: Yeah, Billy was often a third wheel.

J: Do you think that's when their relationship started?

GRAHAM: Not really. Not yet, anyway. I mean...like, whatever they were doing... (camera zooms in on his little smile) it was working.

ELLIE: I was trying to push aside my feelings for her as long as I could. Weeks passed and she became a constant person in my life. She was like oxygen.

She would even go to events with me.

PR was not as important back then as it is now but I still had a pretty big reputation.

ROD: She was a party girl. A gorgeous and sexy blonde bombshell who was all over the newspaper. Girls wanted to be her and every guy wanted a girl like her on their arm.

She was making a name for herself outside of the band which gave her more opportunity for connections once the band fell apart.

WARREN: I was convinced that her and Daisy were fucking but the proved me wrong by bringing home a new guy every weekend. Good for her, she was living out her twenties and leaving a mark.