(5) Desperate Escapes

Hanni jerked in surprise, then turned around and almost bumped into Minji's chest. This woman was standing super close behind her, pressing her against the door. Minji's eyes were blazing with anger, like a devil ready to burn her enemies.

"you got some nerve embarrassing Sunoo like that and trying to escape from my crib!"

Minji's strong hand grabbed Hanni's arm roughly and dragged her along, even though Hanni wasn't willing. Hanni squirmed and tried to resist, but Minji didn't give a damn. She kept dragging Hanni with all her strength, until she had no choice but to reluctantly follow her, fearing her arm might snap.

Hanni had no other option but to be dragged along by Minji, even though she didn't want to.

Minji dragged Hanni up the stairs and back to the white room where she had been locked up earlier. There were some of Minji's guard gathered there, and Sunoo was standing among them. Turns out he had managed to hit up Minji and was released from the bathroom.

Hanni frowned inwardly. She should have been faster earlier, or maybe she should have whacked Sunoo on the head with something so that he would pass out and wouldn't be able to hit up his homies immediately. Minji let go of her grip and pushed Hanni forward roughly.

"Look, sunoo. This little girl and you, my guard who's been with me for years, got played like fools!" Minji said angrily.

Sunoo just remained silent, looking at Minji with a blank face, completely ignoring Hanni's presence. Hanni frowned again, wondering if this guy even had any facial expressions.

"And you, Hanni," Minji ripped off her jacket roughly and rolled up her shirt sleeves, "This is a warning for you. If you ever fool any of my employees again to escape, you'll be taking a life, because I'll kill my employee right away."

Unexpectedly, Minji punched Sunoo hard in the face, causing his head to snap back and blood to trickle from the corner of his mouth.

Hanni was startled and even more shocked when Minji kept hitting Sunoo, again and again without resistance, until he fell to his knees with bruises and blood staining his shirt.

Minji took a step back when Sunoo fell, then turned and looked at Hanni. "Did you see that, Hanni? Every time you try to escape, I swear someone will die for you. I'll kill them all who are careless enough to give you a chance to run!"

With a cruel intention, Minji directed another punch towards Sunoo. Hanni screamed and instinctively grabbed Minji's swinging arm, preventing her from finishing off Sunoo.

"Stop, Kim Minji! It's my fault, it's my fault! Don't kill him! It's my fault!" she panickedly shouted. Minji fell silent and froze, as she finally looked at Hanni with eyes as cold as ice. She appeared extremely angry with Hanni.

"So, you admit it's your fault?" Minji stepped back again, and Hanni felt an immense relief that she didn't unleash her anger on the helpless Sunoo who was kneeling on the floor.

"I just want to get out of this place!" Hanni shouted in anger, frustrated that Minji used cunning threats to prevent her from escaping.

"You belong to me, Hanni Pham, and nothing that belongs to me can leave without my permission," Minji asserted to Hanni.

"On what basis?" Hanni angrily shouted, "I don't belong to anyone, especially not a wicked woman like you. I just want to get out of here, I'm sick of you, sick of everything here! I just want to leave!"

"You want to leave, huh?" Minji gripped Hanni's arm again, in the same spot until Hanni felt her arm bruising, "Let's get out then!"

***

No one dared to help when Minji was yelling at Hanni. It seemed like Minji's anger was a common thing in this house, and no one dared to fight against her. Minji took Hanni to the end of the hallway, to the second-floor glass window that led directly to the balcony.

Roughly, Minji pushed Hanni out and pushed her to the end of the balcony, making her head face down and look in horror at the very large swimming pool below.

The pool looked very clear and deep. Hanni shuddered. She couldn't swim, would Minji push her down?

Minji really pushed Hanni's body to the end of the balcony, making her head bend down, while Minji's hand was holding her back, "Do you see that, Hanni Pham? After I throw you down, your head can break from hitting the edge of the pool," Minji's breath was slightly short from anger.

"You ungrateful woman! You should be thankful for my kindness to you and your family, so you can still live until now. Do you know that I can easily take your life whenever I want," Minji said angrily with a deadly look directed at Hanni.

"God has the right to take my life, not a devil like you!" Hanni shouted trying to challenge her, even though her heart was beating fast with extreme fear.

"Woman like you don't know how to be grateful!" Minji pushed Hanni again to the end, "Any last words?"

Hanni turned her head so that her hateful gaze met Minji's cold eyes, "Thank you for setting me free, Minji Kim."

Then Hanni's body was thrown into the air, then slid down below, into that deep swimming pool.

"At least if I die, I have tried to avenge us, Dad," Hanni said in her heart as her body was thrown into the air with her eyes closed.

A second later, Hanni's body slammed into the surface of the pool and sank. Hanni did not try to save herself, letting her body sink deeper into the pool. Her eyes darkened and closed, and she didn't know how much pool water she had swallowed. Her breath felt tight and her lungs felt like they were about to burst.

Oh God, I'm going to die. Mom, Dad, I'll be joining you soon

***

When Hanni was about to lose consciousness, another splash was heard in the pool. Shortly after, a strong arm grabbed her and lifted her body, then brought her to the surface. 

Hanni's weak body was laid on the floor at the edge of the pool, then she felt her stomach being pressed until the swallowed water came out. Hanni vomited a lot of water and coughed in pain. Her lungs still felt so painful and sore. 

Who was her savior? Was she not allowed to die yet?

The strong hand continued to press until all the liquid was pumped out of Hanni's stomach. Hanni's eyes began to blur, her consciousness faded, when a calm voice was heard above her, "Call a doctor, Sunoo!" 

Minji panicked, urging Sunoo who was silent watching his boss looking flustered because of the girl named Hanni Pham.

That was Minji's voice. Did Minji save her? Besides... why did she save her?