(22) Mine

Hanni was finally allowed to go home with Cheonsa, and Minji was right on time to pick them up. The woman remained the same, as cold as ever, making Hanni wonder if what the nurse had said back then was just a lie or pure imagination. 

Minji sat next to Hanni in the car, staying silent and gazing out the window, maintaining that distance.

"Are you... um, feeling better?" Finally, Minji broke the silence, glancing lightly at Cheonsa, who was peacefully asleep in Hanni's arms, and her gaze softened, "She seems very healthy."

"She breastfeeds strongly," Hanni smiled and kissed Cheonsa's forehead affectionately. 

At first, Hanni was a little apprehensive about Minji's reaction to Cheonsa. She had always despised Cheonsa Kim, claiming it started from the moment she was in Hanni's womb. Would she continue to hate Cheonsa, who was now born into this world? 

It seemed like Minji had an affection for Cheonsa, though she didn't express it in words. Hanni often caught glimpses of the tenderness in Minji's eyes directed towards Cheonsa. Oh, Hanni understood that someone like Minji might not feel comfortable expressing her affection for a child, but Cheonsa might have already won Minji's heart, and Hanni was grateful for that.

They arrived home, and to Hanni's amazement, the baby's room was already set up, located in a small room with a connecting door to theirs so Hanni could easily tend to Cheonsa when their son needed it. Gently, Hanni placed the soundly sleeping Cheonsa in her new crib. The baby was very clever, not fussy, and easily adapted to the change of scenery.

Minji stood at the door's threshold, observing Hanni, then turned her body as if to leave. 

"Minji," 

The woman immediately halted her steps and looked at Hanni. "Hm?"

"Do you... do you still consider me a replacement for Eunchae after we have Cheonsa?" Hanni had to ask; she couldn't bear it any longer. 

Now that they had a daughter, Hanni couldn't live in this uncertainty. Their child had to grow up in a loving family. If Minji couldn't provide that, then Hanni would leave. It was as simple as that.

"What?" There was a flicker in Minji's eyes, and that should have been a warning sign for Hanni, but she didn't want to back down, and she couldn't. 

"All this time, you've always seen me as a replacement for Eunchae. Now we have Cheonsa Kim. I just want to clarify everything. I don't want to be a substitute for someone, so maybe I'll leave with Cheonsa─"

Minji's face hardened. "What do you think you're saying?" 

Hanni sighed, "I've studied that contract. It says I have to marry you when I turn twenty-five, with no clause written in case we divorce. Right now, I want a divorce."

"You said you loved me back then!" Minji wanted to shout those words at Hanni; she was so angry that her fingers clenched into fists. "How dare you want a divorce from me, huh? No one can leave Kim Minji!"

Hanni's face looked both sad and firm as she returned Minji's fiery gaze. "I can't live as a mere replacement for someone. I have my own personality, and I'm tired." 

Minji's initial anger simmered upon hearing Hanni's words. Why hadn't she realized it? All Hanni wanted was acknowledgment that she wasn't a substitute for Eunchae. That was it. And Minji was foolish for not realizing it all this time.

Alright, if that's what Hanni wanted, she would give it to her. 

"Come with me!" Minji took Hanni's hand and led her outside. She half-dragged Hanni, who was bewildered, down the stairs straight to the rose garden wing of the house, the wing where a portrait of Hong Eunchae was elegantly displayed behind a golden-toned door.