04 | Cafeteria

...

It was a Friday afternoon, it was lunch. Students waiting in line getting their lunch. Friday has the best menu. The usual rice, radish kimchi, tofu seaweed soup and some green tea. As Jimin was sitting with her closes friends, she noticed Minjeong having a hard time keeping herself from eating alone when there's always people crowding her. Jimin stood up "I'll be back, hold on." She spoke and walked towards the crowd. "Minjeong-ah!" Jimin grabbed Minjeong's wrist, trying to get her attention. Minjeong was startled but managed to notice it was only Jimin. The older girl navigated the younger one towards the table.

Jimin took a moment to see if Minjeong was okay and though this might be the perfect time to introduce her to her friends. "Girls, this is Kim Minjeong." Jimin spoke as she sat down with Minjeong, "My... childhood friend." The two girls sitting across them were flabbergasted, their jaws were dropped no kidding. "You're friends with THE Kim Minjeong?!" The Chinese exclaims. The Japanese joins in, "CHILDHOOD friends?!?". Jimin had to explain from the start but not with details.

"Well... isn't it rude to not introduce yourselves?" Jimin chuckled. The Japanese spoke up, "Oh, right. I'm Uchinaga Aeri, though they call me Giselle for my speaking English fluently. Nice to meet you!". "I'm Ning Yi Zhuo! Call me Ningning if you'd like." The youngest said in a friendly tone. Minjeong thought their names sounded familiar. "Giselle's dad owns the second largest library in Seoul, The Inside Within Library. For Ningning, her family has a large Chinese restaurant that is famous all around the world, for generations even." Jimin explained to Minjeong. Minjeong was quite surprised but this private school was for students who are mostly wealthy.

They all chatted and got to know each other more. Minjeong actually enjoyed the conversation, she found Ningning's laugh amusing and Giselle's chill vibe was calming. Jimin noticed that Minjeong was getting along with her friends and was glad. "Minjeong, do you have any nicknames aswell? I mean even Karina has a nickname!" Ningning asks as she tilted her head sideways slightly. Minjeong was not sure how to answer the question since only one person calls her by her nickname, "Uh, yeah. It's... not really used by many people though."

"That's fine! We can use it so it'll be usable!" The Chinese exclaims.

"... It's Winter." Minjeong says quietly.

"Ahh, Winter is such a pretty nickname." Aeri complimented.

"I agree, I agree! Winter suits you."

Jimin hearing her friends calling Minjeong by the nickname she made, she can't help but feel a little jealous for some reason.

She made that nickname.

She's the only one who's supposed to call Minjeong with that nickname.

Jimin tried to not be stubborn. Come on, Jimin. It's just a stupid nickname. She thought to herself.

"Did Karina gave you that name?" Ningning asks.

"Huh?" Jimin snaps back to reality when she hears her name being called.

"Uh..." Minjeong took a glance at Jimin.

"Yeah." Minjeong replied.

"Nice choice, Karina! You're really good with nicknames." Aeri gave Jimin a playful punch on the shoulder, making Jimin chuckle. "Ouch!" Jimin said playfully. "Anyways, how old are you, Winter?" Aeri asked. "I'm sixteen." "Ohh! So you're one year younger than Karina and Giselle, you're older than me, Unnie!" Ningning leaned closer towards Minjeong. "Have you joined any clubs yet?" The Japanese asked the Korean, "Clubs? No, not really.". "Then Karina must be a real jerk for not showing you the clu- Ouch!" Before Ningning could finish her sentence, she got pinched by Jimin. "That's because she's still getting used to this new environment." Jimin said playfully as she kept on pinching Ningning. "Okay, Unnie, okay!".

...

It was already the end of school. Minjeong was about to enter her private car when her new friends including Jimin went up to her. "Winter! Do you want to have a sleepover at Karina's house tonight? It'll be super fun!" The youngest spoke out of the blue, "I was supposed to say that-..." "Be there at 8! See you there!" The Japanese interrupted the Korean. The trio slipped away from the car. Minjeong shuts the car door and looked outside the window. "Had new friends, Ms. Minjeong?" Minjeong's personal driver asked with a smile on his face. "Yeah." Minjeong replied.

"They're my friends." A warm smile forms up on her face.