07 | Hold On Tight

KARINA'S POV

Gosh... I can't believe we're doing this again. It feels weird after not having something like this for a while. Our parents were having barbecue and alcohol like they used to. A casual Saturday evening. Though, me and Minjeong would usually stay in my room due to the smell of alcohol and we'd go down when the steak is finished cooking. Now... everything is so awkward. We're both are going to reach our adulthood soon, therefore our parents insists us to cook with them. The traditional music, the smell of the fresh meat cooking and especially the alcohol. The adults were cooking and laughing while drinking a shot. I turned my head to look at Minjeong, she seemed unamused and a little bit concerned for her father's drinking habits. I signalled her if she wanted to go upstairs and she nodded.

We both went upstairs towards my room, no one else around.

I sighed softly, "Sorry, if it's a bit of a mess." I picked up my cap that was on my bed and stuffed it in my closet.

"No worries." She spoke. Her voice was gentle.

"Ever tried alcohol?"

"No? Why would I drink alcohol?"

"Shouldn't have asked." I chuckled.

A brief of silence took over.

"Have you?"

"Yeah."

"Should've have known."

"Touché."

"What age?"

"Your age."

"Sixteen?"

"Yeah."

"Why'd you drink?"

"I don't know. I mean, who doesn't?"

Silence. Minjeong raised her hand up a bit. We both laughed from our broken humour.

"Do you think you're going to try it when you're an adult?"

"Yeah. I don't want to get arrested."

"Pfft..."

"I'm serious."

"I am aswell."

I earned a small smile from Minjeong.
We were getting along.

...

Time passes by quickly. Before I knew it, we have chatted for an hour. "I wonder if our parents are done." I spoke quietly since it was just the two of us. I looked over at Minjeong, "Do you want to head downstairs?" She nodded in response. We both went down the stairs together and it seemed the cooking is almost done. Alcohol smelled everywhere but the smell of the meat is much more pleasant. "Ahh... girls, come! It's almost ready." My mother invites us to sit. We both sat down next to each other. The adults seemed lively and cheerful tonight, even Minjoon-Oppa is helping out cooking and getting along with my father.

"Minjoon-Oppa is a year older than me, right?" I asked as I turned my head to look at Minjeong. "Yeah." She spoke softly, her phone had gotten a notification but she didn't mind checking it. I glanced away and started picking my lips, it was an habit of mine that I kept on doing ever since I was younger. "You still do that?" Minjeong asks as she tilted her head looking towards me.