four

When Aang and Katara came into sight, chatting happily, Sokka clenched his jaw. He knew the boy couldn't be trusted in any way. Glancing at Jasmine by his side, who still held onto his sleeve, he took a breath. Sokka knew he had to protect his baby sister and the villagers. That's my job.

Jasmine only averted her eyes from the two teenagers in the distance when she felt Sokka get out of her grasp. She looked at him as he stepped in front of the villagers.

The children cheered and ran up to Aang when he was close enough. However, the villagers didn't look as happy as their children. Jasmine knew they wouldn't want Aang around anymore. After all, he was the only one who could have sent the signal. But the youngest just knew that he wasn't with the Fire Nation.

"I knew it. You signalled the Fire Navy with that flare. You're leading them straight to us, aren't you?!" Sokka took another step forward and glared at the bald boy.

"Aang didn't do anything. It was an accident," Katara spoke up for the first time and took a step closer to Aang. She had an innocent look in her eyes which had Jasmine sigh; Katara didn't understand the severity of the situation.

"Yeah, we were on the ship and there was this booby trap." Aang nodded and scratched his neck avoiding looking at the village. "And we, well... we boobied right into it."

Jasmine's heart threatened to stop as she held her breath. She knew he didn't want this to happen but Katara knew that it was forbidden to go on that ship. The Fire Nation was nothing to be taken lightly. Still, the boy made a mistake and they could have to pay with their lives.

"Katara, you shouldn't have gone on that ship. Now we could all be in danger," the grandmother said, not hiding her worried and disappointed tone. Katara's face dropped slightly and she looked at the ground.

Aang glanced at her and didn't want her to take the blame. He stepped forward and shook his head. "Don't blame Katara. I brought her there, it's my fault." He put a hand on his chest and lowered his head a bit.

"Aha! The traitor confessed. Warriors get away from the enemy." Sokka ushered the kids away immediately before turning to glare at Aang. "The foreigner is banished from our village."

Katara's eyes widened, not believing the words that came out of her brother's mouth. "Sokka, you're making a mistake." She couldn't suppress the scolding tone in her voice and put her hands on her sides.

Shaking head, Jasmine took a breath. Her siblings would always start an argument in situations in which someone should try to stay calm and collected.

Sokka shook his head and knitted his eyebrows when he looked at the older twin. "No, I'm keeping my promise to dad. I'm protecting you from threats like him."

"Aang is not our enemy!" Katara snapped in a high tone and stepped in front of the said boy. "Don't you see? Aang brought us something we haven't had in a long time. Fun." Her features softened and she looked over her shoulder at Aang who shot her a smile.

Even though she had a point, Sokka wouldn't budge. It was right that the children were happy for the first time since their fathers had left the village.

"Fun?" Sokka scoffed and crossed his arms. "You can't fight firebenders with fun!"

"You should try it some time," Aang spoke up from behind Katara and smiled sheepishly. His attempt to ease the tension backfired completely.

Sokka balled his fists and clenched his teeth, his jawline getting sharper. "Get out of our village. Now!"

Jasmine took a step forward as well in order to prevent Sokka from doing anything stupid. She grabbed his arm softly and pulled him back a bit.