nine

"So a 14-year-old boy bested you and your firebenders?" Zhao almost seemed amused by the situation if it weren't for the fact that this boy was a serious threat to his nation. He put his elbows on the desk and intertwined his fingers, intensely looking at Zuko. "You're more pathetic than I thought."

Jasmine clenched her jaw, having to fight the urge to smack the commander in the face. If he continued to use the dismissive tone while talking to Zuko, Jasmine wouldn't be able to hold back any longer.

"I underestimated him once but it won't happen again!" Zuko smacked his fist on his leg and straightened in his seat.

"No, it won't, because you won't have a second chance," Zhao said and rose from his seat, using his hands as support, he leaned on the table and stared at the prince. He wouldn't give Zuko another chance to get the Avatar. Not only was his nation threatened by the Avatar but it would also be him that would go down in history for capturing the Avatar and ensuring the Fire Nation's victory. I won't let a banished prince go down in history.

"Commander Zhao, I've been hunting the Avatar for five years and I-"

Jasmine gasped when fire shot closely past her. With wide eyes she looked up just as the fire turned into smoke right between her and Zuko. The girl let out a breath when the coffee table in front of her didn't catch fire. She looked at Zhao with a scowl on her face. This asshole could've burnt us all to a crisp.

"You failed!" Zhao balled his fists tightly, making his knuckles turn white. He clenched his jaw and walked around the table, stopping in front of the prince. "Capturing the Avatar is too important to leave it in a teenager's hands. He's mine now."

Zuko couldn't keep his composure and quickly jumped up. His sudden action had Jasmine get up as well, ready to stop Zuko from doing anything stupid if necessary.

The guards were quick to act too. They grabbed Zuko's arms to prevent him from attacking the commander who only stood there with a smug smile. "Keep them here," he said without looking away from Zuko before turning on his heels and leaving the tent.

As soon as Zhao left, the guards let the prince go. Zuko huffed, smoke leaving his nose, as he kicked the coffee table, breaking it in the process. He knew that he had little chance against Zhao; the commander had armies and whole fleets under his control while Zuko only had a little crew and one ship.

A scowl appeared on his face when he saw Jasmine. He immediately blamed her for everything. "I told you not to open your mouth!"

Jasmine snapped her head in his direction and knitted her eyebrows. "I'm sorry your majesty," she mocked him and put her hands on her sides, "if it wasn't for your very loyal crew, we would've been back on your ship, looking for Aang."

He huffed and stepped closer to her. Clenching his teeth, he knew that she was right. It pissed him off that he had no reason to shout at her. The crew had one job.

Zhao entered the tent again, snapping the two teenagers out of their glaring contest.

The commander put his hands behind his back. "My search party is ready. Once I'm out to sea, my guards will escort you back to your ship, and you'll be free to go."

The girl looked away from him after seeing his smug face. He's asking for it.

"Why?" Zuko immediately challenged. "Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you?"

Zhao laughed out loud. "You? Stop me?" He shook his head, the amusement never leaving his features. "Impossible."

Jasmine let out a breath and turned to the commander. She usually wasn't a violent person but sometimes people really seemed to test her. And Zhao had been the worst so far.