Chapter 23: War of the Tortoise

It has been 4 days since the spirit Tortoise had awakened, it had been an extremely chaotic time for the Shield and Sword Cardinal heroes.

Ever since the capital was destroyed the Spirit Tortoise began its rampage across the Tortoise kingdom, despite it being a slow-walking tortoise its vast size allows it to cover a huge amount of ground, as it heads its way to any city or fortress with high populations to kill them and absorb their souls to supposedly power up a barrier to stop the waves.

Speaking of the waves themselves Bakugou and Ren had noticed their timers had stopped, with a blue number 7 appearing on where the timer was at. What was once a wave coming in a few days, now no longer existed. Horai told them that it was a result of the Tortoise being awakened which caused the timer and waves to stop. It was good for the heroes to not have to worry about dealing with two different threats at once but it didn't make the Tortoise any weaker.

There was also no sign of what happened to the Cardinal Spear and Bow heroes, they were last seen trying to kill the Tortoise after it had risen from the earth, but no one knows where they are now. Some people are already theorizing that they both might be dead, which the likes of Sword Hero Ren hoped wasn't true knowing that the waves will get stronger or that Fitoria will just pop in next to them and then outright kill him and Bakugou because of that.

No one has also seen the mastermind who was behind releasing the Tortoise in the first place, Kyo Ethenina. He is now the most wanted man on the planet with rewards for anyone who can capture or kill him going as high as 10,000 gold.

Despite the death of their king and royal family, the Tortoise Kingdom's armies were able to mobilize quickly and engaged the Spirit Tortoise themselves multiple times, but these ended in huge massacres, 10's of thousands of troops were killed off and had their souls absorbed into the massive Tortoise. They eventually stopped engaging it and forced themselves to retreat and reorganize elsewhere.

With the King and Royal Family's deaths Horai despite being originally just a concubine of no royal blood has more or less became the new head of State of the Tortoise kingdom. It didn't mean too much with the kingdom in chaos right now, though it helped with getting through some of the Tortoise kingdom nobles and governors faster.

Right now Bakugou, Ren, their team's, Horai, and the 3 demi warriors focuses had been getting themselves ahead of the Tortoise's direction and evacuating the cities it was heading toward. However, a lot of the cities they visit seem to already have most of their populations evacuated when word got out of the Spirit Tortoise's awakening, once the news spread like wildfire the people of the Tortoise kingdom flee for their lives in any direction they could.

The heroes were still going around as fast as they could to help the civilians get out as fast as possible, "Come on everyone! Move! Move!" Bakugou shouts toward large crowds of people trying to escape, taking what they can carry with them.

"Sir Bakugou, Sir Ren! Another swarm is here!" Neia shouts which draws the heroes and other sidekicks' attention.

They look toward the outside of the city walls and see a large army of Bats and Yeti-like creatures all of whom had turtle shells on their backs. These things started appearing no more than a day after the tortoise was released and seemed to be its giant master's vanguard, always ahead of the Tortoise's direction. According to Horai, these things were familiars of the Tortoise itself, with it being confirmed when Ren and Bakugou absorbed them into their weapons and unlock their Tortoise familiar class variant's. Creatures acting as servants and minions of the monster to help collect souls or weaken defense's of incoming settlements. And despite how many the heroes would kill more and more would keep coming every day and knew they would never stop coming while the Tortoise lived.