Fourteen

Sloan's POV

'You're doing great, Tiger.' Carter signed to me and his words were everything I needed to hear and more.

I think I underestimated just how hard learning sign is. But Carter and his crazy, amazing brain were able to learn almost every word within three days. I on the other hand took a lot longer than him, and am still learning. Some words I still don't know so Carter would tell me what they are. But we were now at a point where we could have actual conversations without the notepad.

It had been a few days since the night we had in the kitchen. When Carter dropped the bomb he found out that Crispin wasn't his biological dad...by Sean. Which made my anger toward Sean grow even more.

Who the hell does he think he is saying that to him? That wasn't his fucking place. Also, it pissed me off that Crispin and Dieter knew and kept their mouths shut. That made me wonder if my parents knew too... It just made me want to keep Carter tucked away in the corner of our world

"I feel like I'm doing terrible," Carter told me it would be easier for me to remember if I signed and talked at the same time, which is exactly what I am doing currently.

'A few days ago you could barely sign a sentence. Now we are having a full conversation.' Carter smiled gently at me and it warmed my heart. And made Loren purr deeply.

We were currently in his room, sitting on his childhood bed and if that doesn't show the progress between us, I don't know what does. He kept this place locked up and away from me, until last night. When he walked in here and said he wanted to show me his room. I was way too fucking happy to see where he spent his early days.

I could tell this place meant a lot to him, the way he showed me around the room. He had a soft smile on his face the whole time. I could tell this room held good memories. Happy, memories for him.

The sun was up and it was bright and beautiful out. It was now fully fall, and there was a soft breeze coming through the open window as we sat.

'I want to show you something.' Carter said, and he leaned over to the bedside table and opened the drawer. He pulled out what looked like to be a photo album and he held it firmly in his hand.

'This is one of the only things I have about my mom.' I sucked in a deep breath, and I waited in anticipation. Carter rarely ever gave information about himself unless I asked. So him telling me about this, especially his mom, is a big fucking deal.

And goddess did I feel special?

He handed me the album and I grabbed it softly, not wanting to damage it anyway, knowing how much it meant to him.

'It's filled with pictures of her. When she was younger and as an adult.'

We were sitting cross-legged on the bed, both of us facing each other. He turned around to his pillow and underneath was a frame. He slowly handed it to me and I succumbed to emotions. It was a picture of his mom, still in her hospital gown. She had a bright smile on her face as she looked down at Carter as if he was the best thing in the world.

Which he was.

"She's beautiful," I told him as I began to open the photo album and look through the pictures. "You look just like her too." I looked up at him as the words left my mouth and Carter beamed with happiness at the compliment.

She truly was a beauty and as I looked at the pictures I could see that she had quite the personality. Parts of which I am sure Carter got him from. Carter sat and watched while I strolled through the pictures. Taking it all in, making sure Carter knows and can see that I am enjoying myself. I want to know the ends and outs of who he is.