Thirty-One

Carter's POV

'I am regretting this decision.' I signed to Sloan as we slowly got closer and closer to his home.

The original plan was to wait for a few more days, but the way the cards laid it was best to go now. Also, the fact that Dieter and Crispin still hadn't left Rena and Dani's pack yet. The pack wasn't big enough to not see him, and there were still some people there who recognized me and they'd ask questions about my dad and me.

Questions I didn't want to answer.

Thankfully they weren't staying at Sloan and I's house. But some were completely different. Turner was a bit upset we were leaving so soon, but I didn't want to put that pressure on James and Byn and let us stay for days on end.

But I did ask them if they could go to our house and renovate it. Add some extra rooms in the back of the house, and make it Sloan's and I's. Also so we have space to expand...for a family.

It's crazy how I was thinking all of this, and these days it didn't feel or sound so scary. Having a family with Sloan, living with Sloan.

But before we could fully dive into our future, we needed to face our present. And that meant having hard conversations. A lot of them. But I had Sloan by my side, and I knew with him I could conquer anything.

Which is why tonight...I'm going to tell him I love him.

And then, once we are finally settled into our house, and in our new pack...I'm going to propose. Which is another reason why I'm happy to come back, to see Uncle Raymond and Uncle Chris. Uncle Ray may own a barbershop, but Uncle Chris is a jeweler. And I know for a fact he can help me find something really nice for Sloan.

"Don't worry, lightning. I'll make sure we get our alone time." Sloan's hand rested on my thigh and gave it a light squeeze.

He had decided that it should be him who would do all the driving. Which I didn't mind. Not at all. I love being a Passenger princess. Well, I did until I tried to give Sloan Road head and he told me no and he needed to focus.

I didn't talk to him for two hours after that.

Then he pulled over and made it up to me by giving me a side-of-the-road head.

"Also you know it is the holidays, which means grandma and grandpa are going to want us to come over next week for Christmas."

FUCK! Fuckkkkkk!!

'Tatty! FUCK!' I yelled down our bond, and I could feel him jump in surprise.

'What the hell, Carter? I was in the middle of something with Loren.' The way he inflicted his voice made me think he was something really dirty.

'Well put a fucking pin in it. Listen. Christmas is next week. And I don't have shit for Sloan.'

'Fuck! Already? Well, you're already renovating the house and he doesn't know that, and a ring, I think that's enough presents? Right?'

'It's only a Christmas present if I give it to him on Christmas.' I quickly looked over to Sloan who seemed to be focused on the road, but eyes slightly hazy. He must be talking with Loren.

'Okay...you're right. I have an idea. How about you propose on Christmas?'

If I was drinking water I would have spit it out all over the place.

'Theodore. Are you crazy?'

'Full name? Damn...I didn't even think it was that bad of a suggestion.'