Eighteen

Sloan's POV

Today was going to be long. Hard and exhausting. 

Carter and I had a full schedule ahead of us and it was daunting. We hadn't done much since being here and honestly, I was becoming pretty lazy. But I was lazy with Carter and that didn't bother me in the slightest. 

But it was now 9 a.m., which was the earliest either of us had gotten up in a long time. My body was slowly becoming stiff and achy from sleeping on the couch and Carter lying on top of me. Carter, I don't mind. But the couch, I do. I don't know how much longer I can take sleeping there. I missed having room to roll over and sleeping on a bunch of pillows. 

I was already dressed, waiting for Carter to get done. Our first stop was a haircut, then phone shopping, and then Rena and Danielle were coming over tonight. Which meant I wouldn't be seeing Carter for however long they talked. 

And I didn't like it. 

Not the fact that they were talking but the fact I couldn't see him. I'd seen him 24/7 the last few weeks, and spending a few hours apart was going to wreck me. I know it. Especially going all that time without touching him now that I know what he feels like. 

I might die.

Carter came jumping down the stairs. Literally. He jumped every two steps and I sat there and watched him amused, and also hoping that he didn't fall and break something. He was wearing another one of my sweaters and a pair of jeans. Which made me think this phone trip may turn into a full shopping trip to get Carter some more clothes.

I stood from the couch and he met my eyes and smiled widely at me. His face lit up at seeing me. Something I don't think I'd get used to. Seeing Carter so happy to see me. His eyes trailed my body and I felt myself heat up. In more ways than one. 

I was wearing a black knit sweater and slim-fit jeans. Which showed off my muscular legs, and the sweater fitting and showing my sculpted upper body. 

'You look good, as always.' He signed it so fast that I almost missed it completely. He just complimented me. 

And there goes me being flaccid. 

He turned around quickly, so I wouldn't notice how his cheeks slightly heated up. He slid on his shoes and was out the door before I could respond and say thank you. I followed behind him with a smile plastered on my face. I locked up the house and saw that Carter was sitting in the passenger seat of my car already. Good, because there's no way in hell he's driving. Not because he's a bad driver, but because I like him sitting next to me while I do it.

Passenger princess style.

I wonder how'd he feel if I called him that? I kind of want to find out. 

I got in the car quickly and immediately started blasting the heat. It was getting colder by the day, winter was near. Which also meant the annual Mickaya and Romanoff vacation was also near. Every three years our families go on vacation together to some random place. This time they wanted to go to the mountains. More cold. 

I had told my dads at the beginning of the year that it was something I didn't mind attending. But now knowing everything, especially with Carter...I don't know if I could. I'd have to talk with him about it at some point. But not now. Today had enough problems on its own.

"I'm way too excited for this freshen-up. I need this mess gone." I wanted to tease Carter about the compliment but I thought it best to stay silent. I knew it was hard for him to say it, so I didn't want him to feel weird about it.