Twenty-Five

Carter's POV

I didn't know what to think.

I could barely fucking breathe. There he stood. Sean. The perfect mix of Crispin and Dieter. The prodigal son. He found me. My eyes kept flicking back to the front door, if he was here then maybe--

"Why are you here?" Sloan had moved to where he was standing protectively in front of me. His voice was laced with anger and malice, something I wasn't expecting him to have. Especially towards his best friend. But from the looks of it, it doesn't even seem like that is the case anymore.

I slyly tugged Sloan's shirt and our eyes met briefly before snapping back towards Sean. I knew he understood what I needed to ask.

"Are Dieter and Crispin here too?" He asked, a low deep growl sat in the back of his throat as the words left. Sean's eyes went wide and he looked surprised at his friend's tone. I was too.

"What? No. They don't know where I went." He sighed and crossed his arms. "Not like they'd care anyways." That part was low, barely audible. But I heard it. And it left me confused and questioning. As well as Tatty.

"I need to talk with Carter." He moved his eyes from Sloan and he found mine. I had never seen Sean so...soft? I don't even know if that is the right word, but it was the opposite of his hard and cold demeanor. "Carter, I need to talk with you."

My heart raced with uncertainty. One, because being alone with Sean since I beat him to a pulp was nerve-racking. Secondly, I don't talk. He doesn't know that. What would he think if he did? The door swung open and Turner looked and made an exasperated look. Only for a moment before a bundle of dark hair and green eyes rounded the corner and joined us in the kitchen.

Addi.

"Fuck, okay. You guys haven't killed each other yet." She let out a deep breath and relaxed.

Her face was flushed, indicating she ran in there. She must have been waiting in the car. She looked at me and there was sorrow and pain in her eyes. Not towards me but for me. Addi was never a problem, she and I got along but there wasn't any substance in our relationship. Not really.

"Hi, Carter. I'm sorry to barge in, b-b--but I just wanted to see you." She gripped her hands tightly with each other. Almost as if she was restraining herself from something. From me.

Sloan was still stiff, eyes stayed firm on Sean, and he stayed firm on me. Goddess, this was going to be messy. But as we sat in silence and two sets of pleading eyes were facing me I noticed something. I noticed how I felt.

I thought the first time I'd see Sean and Addi again I would be filled with dread and anger. But right now, I wasn't feeling any of that. In fact...I was feeling fine. I was confused about why they were here but other than that, seeing them wasn't a painful experience. Now, my seeing my father was a whole other thing, but Sean and Addi...

And I couldn't help but wonder if it had to do with Sloan. Who am I kidding, I know it was Sloan. He was healing me from the inside out, and I didn't realize it until now.

"Can we talk?" Sean huffed, and I noticed as his fist balled up and he closed his eyes and gritted through his teeth, "Please."

"I don't think--" Sloan went to talk but I put my hand on his arm stopping him. He turned to me and concern etched on his face. I looked at him hoping he'd see what I was trying to say. Goddess, these are the days I wish we could mind link.

I signed a quick it's fine to him and I jumped down off the counter, straightening my clothes. Sloan's eyes were still on me.

'Do you need me?' He signed and I nodded.