Thirty-Seven

Carter's POV

Time was moving so fast. Christmas was three days away and every day I got even more nervous. Not that I'd think he'd say no, but I was planning on talking...in front of everyone again. I wanted to say it, verbally. So he could hear in my voice just how much he meant to me. 

Sloan was worth facing my fears.

The past few days have been amazing other than that. It was nice to be around family and feel loved and appreciated. This was my first time truly loving the holidays. It also helped that Sloan and I were fucking every day. Night and morning. 

The Mickayas of course had traditions on traditions, which I found endearing. Last night Sloan spent all night making gingerbread with Delany for the gingerbread contest we were having today. 

But right now, I was in one of the game rooms with Sloan and his siblings. While Uncle Tino and Uncle Koa are out running errands. I think they honestly wanted time away from us, which I completely understand.

"So, Ambrose, when are you going to tell me about this girlfriend of yours?" Sloan brought up, and everyone went still. Sloan was standing at the foosball table with Flo, Ezra, and Delany, I was lounging on the couch watching Cars Eli. Ambrose was lounging on a beanbag reading a book that looked to be in French. 

His eyes left the book and he stared at his brother. And we all waited for what he was about to do. Sloan may be a tiger but Ambrose was genuinely terrifying. His face was always impassive and you could never tell what the kid was thinking. 

"Who told you?" He finally asked after a long beat.

"Doesn't matter. Answer the question." Sloan crossed his arms and Flo sighed.

"Here we go," she muttered under her breath and all three of them at the table moved away from Sloan and joined me on the couch. I grabbed the remote to pause the movie, it just seemed weird to let them have this talk and have Mater yelling in the background.

"Yes, I do," Ambrose said curtly.

"Oh fuck that! You don't get off scot-free. Why didn't you tell me and Ezra?" Sloan yelled and Ambrose looked over at Ezra who's face was now bright red.

"I was going to--"

"Bullshit" Sloan interrupted and Eli and Delany sucked in a breath. I had a feeling that Ambrose didn't like to be interrupted. And that feeling was right as he closed the book and stood on his feet. 

He walked over to Sloan, the two of them almost looking eye to eye, but my man was bigger. 

"Why does it matter?" Ambrose asked crossing his arms.

"Because she's important to you and we deserve to fucking know." Sloan was getting heated, I could feel it in our bond. I slowly reached out to it and tried my best to calm him down.

"I was going--"

"BULLSHIT. You don't tell anyone about yourself. You think it makes you all cool and mysterious, but it makes your family feel separated from you." That struck a cord in Ambrose, as I saw his mask fall slightly, eyes go wide. "We all know you and Ezra are close. And you didn't tell him, imagine how he feels?"

Ezra's eyes were pointed to the ground as Ambrose turned to look at his brother. I would say something to stop them, but I know the Mickayas, and this is how they argue. 

"Did you maybe think that I value your opinion?" Ambrose's jaw ticked as he spoke and I heard Florence let out a soft 'oop'. I wanted to laugh, but I stopped myself. Sloan stood quietly with a confused look on his face. "I guess not."