Chapter 7

Saitama, predictably, aced the entirety of the physical part of the hero test, and set a few untouchable records, just for the hell of it. Afterwards, hun and Genos sat together while they got their results. Genos was put in last place in class S. And Saitama. "Class B rank 50. Not too shabby."
Genos was offended by the idea. "Not having you in class S is an insufferable grievance. I will have it rectified immediately."
Saitama grabs Genos' arm before he can get anywhere. "Slow down kid. Rank doesn't matter to me too much. Besides, I'm just here for the fun of it."

This seminar is pretty boring. Saitama watches some class A guy rant at them about proper hero behavior. He seemed familiar somehow. Saitama just couldn't place him. "I'm sorry, who are you again?"
The hero scoffs at the question. "I am class A rank 38 hero Snek. And don't you forget it baldy."
Saitama snickers. "Snek? Like the meme?"
"The meme is irrelevant to my name!"
"Whatever you say, Danger Noodle."
"Shut up! I'm not even the one who picked it!"

Walking away from the building, Genos asks a question. "What should I do now, master?"
"Hmmm." Hands in his pockets, he looks over the river he and Genos are next to. "Take a lap around a couple blocks, get acclimated to being a hero, see if it makes you feel different about what you do or how you do things, then go home."
"Yes master." Saitama smiles at his disciple as he jogs off, mostly likely to find a monster or two. This is gonna be fun.

"Hey, the seminar isn't over yet!" Saitama turns to see Snek charging at him before doing some over complicated flip over him as he lands in some dumbass pose. "In this business, there's something called rookie crushing. Us heroes don't like being outranked by newbies, so we crush them, like this!" Saitama sees an image of a sad worm as Snek punches him in the face.
Grabbing Snek's wrist with two fingers, he moves the veteran pro's fist away from his face to reveal his sneer. "That was a mistake Nope Rope."

Leaving the injured Snek behind in the pavement, Saitama scowls. 'Rookie crushing? I thought heroes were supposed to be the good guys. This isn't a competition, this is serious stuff. If I catch any other rookie crushers, I'll bash their faces in. Maybe I'll call it veteran crushing or something. Better tell Genos about it tomorrow so he knows to keep his guard up around other heroes, at least until he can trust them.'

"How barbaric." Genos' reaction to the news was expected.
"Tell me about it. When he finished talking I was kinda disgusted. If you hospitalise new guys who happen to be good then you're just wasting time and effort."
"Thank you for informing me of this master. I will be sure to participate in veteran crushing should I happen upon this level of injustice."
"Just make sure not to strain yourself."
"Of course. I must thank you for agreeing to my unreasonable request today."

Saitama shrugs. "Hey, I'm your mentor. It's the least I could do." He looks around the barren area they're in. "Nice spot you picked. You still sure you want me to go all out?"
Genos' nod is firm and unyielding. "Yes master. I wish to gauge my power agaisnt yours, and hopefully during the battle I will detect anomalies that may be the key to your overwhelming strength."
"I could just tell you, although I'm not too sure how it happened myself."
Genos' mechanical eyes widen at the opportunity and he pulls a notebook from nowhere. "Please, anything you might know could be essential."
"Well, I used to be a regular guy. Average job, average income, average life. Then I saved this kid from a monster and it inspired me to be a hero and I started training." He notices the speed and amount that Genos seems to be writing. "If you're going to take notes, be a little sparing with it. You're just wasting paper and lead." He continues his story after Genos slows down with the notes. "And I started a workout routine. 100 sit ups, 100 push ups, 100 squats and a 10 kilometre run. I did it every single day. Rain, heat, snow, even hail, I still did it. I even did it when I was son a lot of pain. Ever done a push up after having your arms broken?" His body has been cybernetic for some time, so the idea of pain is bit a dull memory to Genos, but even so, that description got a wince out of him. "I was flat broke ao I could use the AC or heat in the summer or winter, so that sucked. And I could only ever afford a banana for breakfast. I don't know what happened, but I was getting stronger, and then out of the blue, one day, bam! My hair is gone and I ripped my door if it's hinges."

Genos is at a loss for words. "Master, you are... so full of shit! If that was the way to gain unimaginable power, the planet would have been destroyed by an army of gods by now!"
"Hey, I told you I don't understand how it happened! I'm just telling you what I did leading up to that!"
Putting the notebook away, Genos gets into a battle stance. "Even so, my scanners may find an anomaly during our fight that may lead to some insight about your abilities. Come at me with everything you have, no holding back."
"... you're gonna regret asking me to do that."
"What do you-" Genos is taken by surprise when Saitama is suddenly in front of him. He sends out a startled fist that seems to pass THROUGH Saitama before he disappears, leading to the realisation that it was simply an afterimage. His sensors detect movement behind him and he turns to see his master working back a fist. And the feeling the encompasses his very being can only be described as one thing. Death. All he could see, all he could feel, all he could hope to think about was his masters black clad fist about to snuff out his very existence. Then he stopped.

Saitama is completely still for a moment, his gloved fist hovering less than an inch from his student's face before he pulls back with a playful smile. "Let's go grab some lunch. I hear there's a new Tokoyami place run by some kind of starfish monster down the street."
Genos stumbles back slightly, still in shock. "Of course." His sensors pick up an anomaly behind him, and he quickly turns expecting to his mater once again, thinking he was somehow speaking to an afterimage. What he finds is somehow more disturbing. The entirety of the mountainside they had been fighting near had been reduced to nothing in an instant by his master's singular punch.