Chapter 17- alternate version

Author note:
Hi.... So yeah it's been three years.

I'm back to post an alternate version of chapter 17 . If I ever do make a book 2, then you can refer to the original chapter before the sequel, but since that's highly unlikely. This is the happy ending 12 year old me so graciously deprived all of you from.
- just a heads up, it has been a very long time, so I'd like to warn that my writing style (in my opinion) has drastically changed. I understand that a lot of people like specific books because of the style, so this may be an annoying change but there's not much I can do about it. I'd like to think that regardless of alterations, it has gotten better/smoother so please enjoy <3

Third person pov:

Xiao brought his fingers up to cup Aether's face, his eyes bearing an unreadable expression. The other responded with a gentle but sad smile.

"I understand, if you have to do this." Aether cast his gaze downwards, as if ashamed of what he was willing to let go. "It's out of your control, this is celestia we're talking about. Who knows what they would do to you- to us, since you disobeyed the heavenly principles and were to flee punishment."

Xiao pressed his forehead to Aether's, his bright golden eyes spoke volumes of what his mouth couldn't. Don't let me go, Aether.. please.

Aether was right, the choice wasn't his. Xiao was a higher rank than most humans and other beings as he was both an adepti and a yaksha. Yet he was still no match for the heavens. This was the natural hierarchy, everyone has a place in this world whether they like it or not. Those below must obey those that are higher, or suffer the consequences.

"You'd let me go that easily?" Xiao teased, Aether's eyes narrowed in response.

"You know I wouldn't. But I'd rather you imprisoned than dead, Xiao." He was blunt but absolutely correct. Though, who was to say he would be killed for his crime of loving a mortal? Who was to say it was wrong? Who had the right to police love? As love is the only force in existence that doesn't obey even heavenly principles.

"You're going to let them take me away from you so easily? Why not run, enjoy life while we can." Aether was going to say something but Xiao cut him off, knowing he was going to protest. "I know you want me safe Aether, but what is the point in living if I can't be with you."

That shut him up quick, even Xiao had to tilt Aethers head back up to meet his gaze. Aether knew he was right, and that's exactly what scared him.

"Alright, I'm trusting you. But we have to take this seriously." He definitely had the yaksha's attention now. "We pack the bare necessities and move to a different nation all together. You'll give up your duties as a yaksha, and then we'll leave without even saying goodbye." Xiao could hardly imagine leaving all their friends behind, as Aether couldn't either. But the Gods were going to be mad, and they couldn't take any chances under that type of wrath.

"Then it's settled." Xiao wiped a tear off Aether's cheek and pulled him in for a hug.

"We'll be safe together, just you and me." Xiao whispered in his lover's ear, then turned around to press a passionate kiss to his lips.

Their bodies synchronised with the close contact. Aether soaked in Xiao's warmth and savoured the taste of him on his tongue. The kiss was fiery and full of love, but their touches were nothing but soft and affectionate. No communication was needed when you loved someone to a spiritual level. The kind of love that binds souls together forever.

Forbidden love is always the sweetest. Perhaps it was made to tempt sinners into its grasp.

In that moment, all they knew was each other, and that's all they needed to know to be content. Aether was Xiao's world, and Xiao was Aether's. Nobody but the two of them existed in a perfect plane of existence.

Two lovers that couldn't be separated, even at the hands of a god.

The prince and his beloved Yaksha, until the end of time.

Author note:

This was so ass but it's like midnight so please take this half assed shit. I hope this was a kinder ending, please stop flaming me for the og chap 17 or I'll cry 🥲

Ily all and Thankyou for your continued support <3