three.

jamie inhaled a deep breath before knocking on the front door of the sturniolo household. it was the first time she was over in a long time. she hasn't been here since she and chris broke up, in fact. but matt offered to have her over to study for their first government and economics test this week and remembering the plan they made on the first day of school, jamie agreed. 

"jamie?" chris' confusion was evident as he opened the door. "what are you doing here? nick's not home."

"oh." jamie replied. she had planned to use nick as her excuse if chris opened the door. however, she texted matt that she was here, so she hoped he would have come down instead.

"jamie!" matt exclaimed from the top of the stairs. "come in!"

"you're here for matt?" chris asked, his confusion only growing. 

"yeah." jamie said. "we have to study."

"oh." chris looked between the two before letting jamie in. "have fun with that." he said.

"we'll be in my room, chris!" matt called out as jamie climbed the stairs. chris stopped in his tracks and looked up. he assumed they'd be in the kitchen or somewhere other than matt's bedroom.

"okay." he said before looking down on his phone and typing vigorously. "paris will be over in an hour by the way." he added. jamie blinked. she exchanged a look with matt, who shrugged. the two ignored chris and made their way to matt's room.

"did you see his face?" matt asked. "he looked so confused."

"as if he didn't know we have a class together this year." jamie laughed. "did you know about paris coming over?"

"no." matt shook his head. "he usually tells me and nick after the fact she's already over. so it was weird he made the effort to tell me this time."

"so he's trying to get to me." jamie realized before smiling to herself. "he wanted to get a reaction out of me by saying that."

"it didn't work." matt agreed. "now are we actually going to study or just stay in here and chill."

"i mean i'm not opposed to chilling, but i feel like we should be good students." jamie replied. there was a silence between her and matt and the two made eye contact before bursting with laughter. 

"there's no way you just said we should be good students." matt said in between giggles. "your only a's have been in art the entirety of high school."

"don't say that, matt! and i actually like ms. rome, so maybe i'll try this year, just for her."

"what's going on in here?" the door suddenly swung open. matt and jamie stopped laughing when they saw paris, with chris right behind her. it has not been an hour yet, so they knew chris must have asked if she could come earlier. "oh." paris said, bitterly. "didn't realize i was interrupting something." 

"you weren't." jamie snorted. "me and matt are studying." paris gave her a look.

"since when do you study?"

"that's what i was thinking when she said that." chris said. "since when does jamie care about what grade she gets?"

"since i decided that i like my teacher this year." jamie scoffed. "and why do you care so much about why i'm studying?"