four.

to say jamie was nervous was an understatement. and no, she was not nervous for herself. she could not give two fucks about what chris or paris think of her. she was nervous for matt. she was praying that chris doesn't end up starting a fight with his brother because of this fake dating plan. 

"you ready?" matt asked as they walked toward the door of the building. they were going to walk in together and make it seem like a big-ish deal.

"ready as i'll ever be." jamie replied. with a deep breath, she and matt pushed the door open. there were more students in the hallway than there were last week. maybe more kids wanted to get to school early. either way, it was a lot more pressure on jamie and matt. 

"you look nervous." matt whispered to her. jamie looked up at him and shook her head. "relax a bit." he grabbed her hand for comfort. in a purely platonic way, of course. however, it didn't look like that to other students. 

"i'm relaxed." jamie said. the two walked toward their friends. nick was already there, talking to caroline and isaiah. that meant chris and paris were already here, too. since matt spent the night at jamie's house, nick had to take a ride from paris in the morning. he was too lazy to walk to jamie's that early just to get a ride from matt.

"oh my god." nick gasped. "you guys are holding hands already?" he looked down to their interlocked hands. jamie's eyes widened as she took her hand out of matt's grip. 

"it wasn't anything serious. she looked nervous." matt explained. "and chris didn't see, anyway."

"yeah, but everyone else did." isaiah pointed to the group of students behind them, who looked away once matt and jamie glanced at them. "our whole grade is going to know by the time first period starts."

"let them think whatever they want." jamie rolled her eyes. "it only matters that you guys know the truth."

"hey, jamie." someone called out from behind them. jamie turned to see tyson fletcher, the other co-captain of the lacrosse team. and chris' best friend aside from matt. he approached her and looked between her a matt with a frown. "can we talk?" he asked. jamie looked at her friends, who just shrugged. 

"alone?" jamie asked him. tyson hesitated before looking at matt again and nodding. 

"it's better if we talk alone." he led her away from matt and into an adjacent empty classroom. 

"what's up, ty?" jamie asked. tyson looked around, as if trying to make sure no one could hear them.

"you... you aren't dating matt, are you?" he looked almost nervous. jamie furrowed her eyebrows. 

"no, i'm not." she said. tyson looked relieved. 

"oh. okay, good. chris said he felt like you guys were suddenly close and then walking in together didn't make him feel better."

"chris saw us?" jamie straightened. how could she not have seen him? then again, she didn't realize they had a crowd until after they reached their friends. 

"yeah." tyson grimaced before biting his lip nervously. "listen, jamie, i know that what chris did was fucked up, but—"

"tyson, i don't need a reminder for what chris did, okay? i know you guys are close, but you and i were never really friends. i was always just 'chris' girlfriend.'"

"that's not true." tyson insisted. "jamie, we all care about you. especially chris. and it's okay to feel upset about it. but playing around with chris' feelings won't give you the satisfaction you think it will."

"what are you talking about?" jamie frowned. she hadn't mentioned her plan with matt to anyone on the lacrosse team, had she? aside from matt himself of course. tyson rolled his eyes.

"jamie, it's so obvious you're doing this to get a rise out of chris. he dates your best friend so you date his brother. you were always the petty type."

"i was not!" jamie attempted to defend herself, but she knew tyson was right. there was a time back in middle school where tyson bumped into her once accidentally in the hallway and she spent the next week and half shouldering him every time they passed each other.

"just... be careful, okay? i'd hate to see both you or chris get hurt because of this." he turned away from her and started to walk out of the classroom.

"thanks for your insight, ty." jamie said. however, tyson's words reeling in her mind the entire walk to first period. 

playing around with chris' feelings won't give you the satisfaction you think it will.

but when she arrived to her classroom, the first thing she saw was them. and they were kissing. jamie's vision blurred as she rushed into the classroom, her shoulder brushing chris' back. the couple broke apart, chris staring at jamie's figure heading toward her desk in the corner. once jamie sat down, she made eye contact with chris, who just grabbed paris' hand and walked away. jamie scoffed.

tyson fletcher was an idiot.

maha speaks :)

LOLLLLLL