five.

"have fun with paris last night?" jamie asked once chris sat down in the seat behind her. chris just rolled his eyes. 

"have fun with matt last night?" he retaliated, making jamie scoff. 

"yeah, i did actually." she finally turned around to face him and the two held eye contact. chris raised his eyebrows.

"so what, are you like dating him now?" he asked. jamie opened her mouth to respond before hesitating. this was as good a moment as ever to drop the bomb, but it would be more fun to wait a little bit.

"why do you care who i'm dating?" she asked, making chris go silent. she looked satisfied at his lack of response and turned back to her own desk, where her creative writing journal lay completely empty. 

"i only care because it's matt." she heard chris say, softly. jamie tried not to look back to him. she couldn't let him know that she was guilty. she couldn't feel guilty, could she? the whole point of this was to make chris feel guilty, not jamie. jamie ignored him and bit her lip before looking down at her empty notebook. 

they weren't learning anything. the first few weeks of school consist of students working on their own narrative. they can write about whatever they want. and they have a whole month to do it without any instruction. once october comes, they start learning ways to improve and by the end of the year, they're going to rewrite the same narrative but using all the tips and tricks they learned throughout the year. jamie had to admit, it was a clever way of teaching. but her only problem was that she had nothing to write about. 

"jamie?" mrs. hadley walked up to her. the teacher glanced down at the notebook and picked it up, flipping through th empty pages. she set down the notebook and looked at the girl, concerned. "i noticed you spend class either drawing or daydreaming rather than actually writing. i would assume you're working at home, but your journal is empty." jamie knew mrs. hadley was only trying to help, but she couldn't help but be annoyed at her teacher.

"i've been busy." she said. mrs. hadley raised her eyebrows. 

"i hope you remember this is an actual college level class, ms. stember. i won't take the 'i'm busy' excuse. if you have time for other classes, you have time for mine." and with that she walked away, leaving jamie to feel even more guilty for not trying in this class. chris noticed jamie struggling and remembered how she helped him in art the week before.

"try thinking of a memory." chris suggested. jamie's head shot up, surprised that chris was speaking to her. she turned around and looked at him.

"what kind of memory?"

"any one. could be a happy one, a sad one, one that was happy but thinking of it makes you sad..." he trailed off, thinking of the memory he used for his own piece. jamie bit her lip, trying to understand chris' point.

"thanks." she replied before turning around. she thought about a memory. one that could inspire her to write a good story. suddenly, a certain one entered her mind. one from about a year ago.