ten.

an hour or so into it, the party was going well. or at least, it seemed to be going well. kids from their high school, plus some from neighboring schools, were crowded in jamie's house. some were in the living room, where she was, while others were in the kitchen or the backyard. some even sat on the stairs, talking (jamie made sure to lock all bedroom doors before she let people in).  jamie was sitting by herslef on the couch, sulking. she was absolutely miserable. she had a cup of apple juice in her hand. as shitty as she felt, she did not feel like drinking her feelings away. 

"you okay?" isaiah sat down next to her. "i feel like that's been the first thing i ask you every time since we met." jamie attempted to laugh. 

"sorry, zay. i know i've been a mess. i'll be sure to act happy whenever you see me." she joked, but isaiah didn't buy it. 

"you don't have to act happy when you're not, james." he told her. "crying is healthy. you should cry more, in fact."

"i should've known you'd be the fucking therapist friend." jamie grumbled. "i'd been missing one of those."

"well now you have one!" isaiah put an arm around her neck. "you can come to me with anything, i promise." 

"i know that." jamie smiled at him. "thank you, zay."

"it's my job. now, you didn't hear this from me, but matt is extremely worried about you."

"matt?" jamie asked, confused. "why would matt be worried about me?"

"no idea. he just said that you've been quiet since he saw you with chris today. he thinks that him and paris are what's making you so upset right now."

"oh." jamie looked around the crowded living room. she spotted paris and chris in the corner and frowned. "well, now they're making me upset."

"they weren't before?" isaiah questioned. jamie shrugged. 

"i don't know. i guess paris made me upset before, but i was completely fine with chris. this whole situation is really fucking me up. i should be mad a chris, but i don't know."

"i get it." isaiah replied. "i really do. you can never hate someone that you loved so much."

"i loved paris, though." jamie pointed out. "and i hate her now."

"well that was different. you loved paris, but you were in love with chris. or, rather, you're still in love with chris?" 

"i don't know!" jamie groaned, putting her head in her hands. "i'm so confused and conflicted. i don't know whether to be mad at him or make jabs at him. i should be mad at him, and i guess i was at first, but now? i think deep down i've accepted the fact that he won't come back to me. no matter how hard i try."

"jamie, look at me." isaiah lifted her head up. "don't beat yourself up over this right now. it's a halloween party. it's your halloween party. you're supposed to be the one having the most fun right now."

"i know." jamie sighed, looking over at chris and paris again. "i can't let them decide whether or not i enjoy myself tonight." she decided. "thank you, zay. again"