seven.

walking into the classroom, jamie head to her seat next to chris without the feeling of dread that she usually feels sitting in this class every day. she feels... hopeful? for the first time in a while, the two actually tolerated each other.

"hi." chris greeted her with a small smile.

"hey." jamie replied, setting her bag down and taking a seat. she reciprocated the smile.

"good afternoon, guys!" ms. tylers greeted the class. "so, i'm not sure if you remember the first assignment i gave you last week, but i am passing those back today. however, the person recieving your drawing is not going to be you, but the person you drew. this is just a way to peer-revise and give any critiques and corrections that your partner may need. however, please don't be mean about your corrections. not everyone here is a fantasic sketcher." she began to go through her stack of drawings. eventually, she reached jamie and chris' table and handed back their drawings. 

"thank you." chris replied, taking the sketch of himself. jamie picked up the drawing of herself that chris had drawn that first day of school.

 it wasn't terrible: the hair looked good and the face structure was pretty accurate. even the eyes were more detailed than she expected them to be. however, the nose a little small and the mouth was lower than it should have been. and jamie could see light eraser marks on the side of the head, where the ears used to be before chris had covered them up with hair. but considering that chris was not even close to an artist, yet he very obviously tried his best, jamie admired the drawing. she looked up at chris, who was already watching her, intently. jamie could see a bit of nervousness in his eyes. 

"it's good." she says. chris' eyes light up and the fear washes away from his face.

"really?" he asked. "i was trying so hard to make it as perfect as possible, but i messed up the nose and the mouth."

"it looks good, chris." jamie smiled. "i can tell that you tried. and your mistakes can be easily fixed. just make my nose bigger and make sure when you draw a mouth, it's just about half an inch below the tip of the nose." 

"okay." chris nodded. "that's actually easy enough to remember, i guess." he was about to say something else when his eyes caught on something behind jamie. jamie turned around and gasped.

"matt!" she exclaimed before jumping out of his seat and giving the boy a hug. "what are you doing here?" a couple of classmates had started whispering around them. chris was frowning in their direction. 

"i got a pass." matt explained. "we finished whatever we had to do in carpentry so i just asked if i could come here for the rest of class. and ms. tylers doesn't care. look at this: hi ms. tylers!" he called out to the art teacher, who looked up from her laptop. 

"matthew! so good to see you!" she beamed at him before going back to work. matt looked back to jamie. 

"see, she loves me."

"come here." jamie took his hand and dragged him over to the table. "look how great chris drew me." matt furrowed his eyebrows and pulled her aside for a moment.

"you and chris are speaking?"

"not exactly, but we're being civil." jamie told him what had happened earlier and how she spent her english and study hall classes trying to decide whether or not she should speak to chris. 

"oh, okay. be careful, j." he warned. he looked over at his brother, who was still looking at them with distaste. "he's looking at us."

"let him look." jamie replied. "the plan was to make him jealous, remember?" she asked, her voice wavering with uncertainty. matt grimaced but nodded.

"yeah." he replied, softly. the two went back to the table. jamie sat down while matt hovered over her. 

"so, how'd you like my drawing, chris?" jamie asked. chris narrowed his eyes at her. 

"it was good." was all he said before pushing the drawing back towards her and pulling out his phone. matt and jamie exchanged a look. 

"everything okay, chris?" matt asked. chris nodded, not looking up. 

"fine." 

"chris..." jamie started, but chris rolled his eyes. 

"i said i'm fine, jamie. i'm gonna go call paris." he emphasized her name and got up to ask ms. tyler if he could go to the bathroom. 

his words shut jamie up, who suddenly remembered why she was ever upset with chris in the first place. she pushed their whole conversation after lunch and the help chris had given her during first period out of her mind. 

screw being civil. jamie had a plan that needed to be executed. operation: get him back was about to begin.

maha speaks :)

this is a filler im sorry for how short it is

also that ending was SO BAD i apologize.