six.

when the lunch bell rang, matt grabbed jamie's hand and led her to the table, cutting through at least five different groups of students. 

"matt!" jamie yelped after bumping into another student. "it's not that serious, bro! slow down!" the two found their usual empty table and jamie sat down on the bench, looking up at matt like he was insane.

"chris meets paris at that tree." matt pointed to the tree nearest to their table, breathing heavily to catch his breath. "we need to get here before them so they could see us before going to wherever the fuck they go for lunch."

"did we need to run?"

"yes." matt pointed behind her. jamie turned and saw chris heading their direction, toward the tree. "chris usually gets here first. at least that's what nick told me."

"so what are we supposed to do?" jamie asked. "like do i have to fake laugh and act like you're funny?"

"hey!" matt exclaimed, before crossing his arms. "i am funny." jamie scoffed.

"to a baby, probably. but they laugh at everything." matt playfully hit her arm right as chris passed them.

"oh my god, jamie, you are so mean." he exaggerated his tone to make it seem like he was genuinely offended. jamie couldn't help but laugh.

"shut up, matt." 

"you're laughing!" matt pointed out. "see? i am funny."

"sure." jamie shook her head. she scoot over a bit so matt could sit down next to her. in her peripheral vision, she could see chris turn his head to their direction. 

"he's looking at us, right?" matt leaned over and whispered, trying himself not to fully look over. jamie nodded. 

"yeah."

"who's gonna tell him that paris left early?" the pair heard nick's voice approach the table. 

"not me." caroline replied, taking the seat next to jamie. "did he see you guys?"

"yeah, he's been looking over a couple of times." matt replied. "wait, nick, did you say paris isn't here today?" nick shook his head, him and isaiah taking the bench across from them. 

"she wasn't here in third period." isaiah explained. he looked over at chris, who was furiously texting on his phone. "i feel kinda bad."

"me too." jamie admitted. everyone looked at her in shock. she held her hands up in defense. "hey, i wouldn't wish my worst enemy to sit alone during lunch." nick looked over at chris, who was now looking around helplessly.

"should we ask him to sit with us?"

"where are his lacrosse friends?" caroline asked. she turned to matt. "aren't you friends with them, too?"

"yeah, but most of them have second lunch. and tyson usually eats off-campus."

"oh." caroline sighed. she narrowed her eyes at the lost looking boy. "okay, let's ask him to sit with us."

"chris!" nick waved him over. "you know that if your brothers are right here, you don't have to stand there like a fucking loner." 

"didn't want to intrude." chris mumbled, his gaze shifting over to matt and jamie. an awkward silence hung over the table, as no one knew what to say. caroline and isaiah haven't spoken to chris since he started going out with paris. nick and matt usually talk to chris about everything other than that when they're home. and jamie, well.