CHAPTER 50: TALK WITH THE EMPRESS 2

"Muhahahaha..."

Empress Selene laughed hysterically after calming her anger. She couldn't believe that she had let a child stir up her emotions so easily.

"Ha... you are a clever little thing, aren't you?" Empress Selene said as she chuckled with an astonished expression.

"Well... your speculations were correct. I do want to see this empire fall, but I think so do you. As we both share the same pain of losing our family to the empire," Empress Selene said.

"What is she talking about?" Helena thought in her mind, confused by Empress Selene's words. She couldn't think of anything they shared in common.

"Oh, no. From your expression, it seems that you don't know," Empress Selene said in vague words as she stared at Helena with a pitiful gaze.

"Just say what you have to say," Helena said in an annoyed tone as she glared at Empress Selene.

"As a mother, it pains me to say this, but... your mother is in a coma, after being pushed down off her balcony by her maid. And the people who ordered the maid to do this were not identified, even after interrogating the captured maid. But I have sent people to secretly find out who ordered the assassination..." Empress Selene explained with a sympathetic expression.

After hearing about her mother's accident, Helena went silent. She had conflicting emotions about the news.

"It's difficult for me to figure out how to feel about this news, even though I know she's my mother. I feel little to nothing for her. Is it because I don't think of her as my actual mother because of my past life memories of my mother on Earth?... Although I may not have the same love for her as I have for my mother on Earth, I cannot use that as an excuse. Because she is the one who gave me life, and anyone who hurts her will get crushed," Helena thought in her mind.

"Heh... I guess even though she's smart for her age, she is still a child governed by her emotions. This will be much easier than I thought," Empress Selene thought in her mind after seeing Helena's sad expression.

[YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING SHE'S SAYING.]

Alpha said in Helena's mind.

[Huh?... Alpha, what do you mean, I should not believe everything she said?]

Helena asked, in a curious tone.

[WELL... IT'S BETTER IF I JUST SHOW YOU.]

[DING]

[SELENE VON MERULA/GOLDEN.]

[FAVOURABILITY: ]

[EMPRESS OF GIGGADON EMPIRE AND FORMER PRINCESS OF THE FALLEN GOLDEN EMPIRE. SHE THINKS YOU ARE USEFUL TO HER PLANS.]

[WOAH!... So, what am I looking at?]

Helena asked, not sure what she was looking at.

[THIS IS ONE OF THE NEW SYSTEM FUNCTIONS, 'THE RELATIONSHIPS TAB.' IT SHOWS YOU SOMEONE'S IMPRESSION OF YOU.]

Alpha explained.

[I see... so the empress has a favorable impression of me, so why did you ask me not to believe everything she says?]

Helena questioned Alpha.

[THE EMPRESS ONLY HAS ONE STAR FAVOURABILITY OF YOU WHICH MEANS SHE ONLY FAVORS YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE USEFUL TO HER. ONCE HER PLANS ARE COMPLETE, THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE SHE MIGHT BETRAY YOU.]

Alpha explained, trying to convince Helena not to trust the empress too soon.

[I understand your concern, but trust me, I don't trust easily, especially when the person is a beautiful woman... And whatever plans the empress has, would be useless against me because, in the face of absolute power, all schemes turn to dust," Helena said in a confident tone, reassuring Alpha.