CHAPTER 19: MITHELYE

Two days later

Helena's room

It's been two days since the incident in the garden. And Helena had learned a lot in those two days. She learnt the truth about her eye color, and why she was called a slave because of them.

­-------- flashback--------

Gaia Forest. A massive forest that is located in the Western part of the continent. It shares borders with the North and South Empires. It's also the home of the most beautiful creatures in the world. Elves. Known as the longest-living race, they have a similar body structure to humans, but with distinctive features.

They possess longer ears and beautiful purple eyes that shone like diamonds. They are also a race of warriors who protect Gaia. The mother tree, in the center of the forest, gives the Elves tremendous power, which they use to create a barrier that protects the forests from intruders. But it did not stop the elves from going out, which meant once they left the forest, they had no hope of coming back. Therefore, a rule which prevents them from leaving the forest was made.

But due to their curiosity about the outside world, some young elves sneaked out of the forest. And Helena's mother, 'Mithelye', was one of them. She left her home at the age of fifty. Which is still a young age for elves who age slowly, both physically and mentally. At human age, she would be fifteen.

Coming into this undiscovered world, they were overflowing with excitement and curiosity, but the world outside was not like the fantasy they had imagined in their minds. It was dangerous, harsh, and unforgiving for the smallest mistake.

Thirty young elves left the forest, but in just a week of their journey, ten elves got killed by wild beasts. Five more died from eating poisonous food and another five died from starving. They had experienced the wickedness of the world.

They learnt the rules of this world where the strong survive and the weak die. On a dark, cold night. The ten surviving elves saw a glimmer of hope. While staring at the night sky, they saw fumes, which meant there was fire and maybe food.

They ran towards it with all the strength they could muster from their starving bodies, and when they arrived, they saw something that looked like them but was different. They had shorter ears, wore strange clothes they had never seen, and they spoke strange words. But those strange people were nice. The strange men gave them food to eat and water to quench their thirst.

The young elves were happy. It was the first time they were met with kindness in this harsh world. While they ate the food given to them with gusto, Mithelye pretended to eat the food given to her because she remembered the lesson her father had taught her.

"Mithelye... listen to my words. Nothing is absolutely free in the world. There is only an illusion of freedom." Her father said.

"I don't understand, father," she said.

" OK, let me give you an example. Do you think the birds flying in the sky are free?" Her father asked while pointing at a flock of birds flying in the sky.

"Hmmm... yes. They look freer than us who are trapped in this forest oblivious of the world outside," she said.

"Ha hahaha... that was the same answer your mother gave me. She was always curious about the outside world." Her father said while laughing.

"So why didn't she go?" Mithelye asked.

"Because I used my charms to convince her that marrying me was much better than exploring the outside world." He said while stroking his ego.

"Ewww... I didn't have to hear that."

"That bird might look free in your eyes, but it has to fight against strong winds and resist gravity for it to fly. Once its wings stop flapping, it will come crashing down. Same as we elves, we are bound by our desire. Someone will only offer you something for free when they have something to gain. Some do it to be perceived as a nice person so they can boost their ego, while some do it with evil intentions. You can never tell the difference between the two because they all possess one thing in common: a selfish heart.