Chapter 14: Baking With Villains

We all snuck out of our dorms and walked to the kitchen. Carlos sat on the counter next to Dude. And Jay sat on a random chair. Evie stood off to the side of Mal. And I stood next to Carlos. Mal made the batter with the help of me and Evie. It was almost done, but it wouldn't work until we add the final ingredient.

"Alright, it says that we need one tear, and I've never cried." Mal said reading the last ingredient. "Lets just chop up some onions" Carlos said picking up an onion. I grabbed his hand and pushed it down. "No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly." Mal said. Carlos looked at me for guidance, I shrugged and he started petting Dude. "A tears a tear" Jay said looking at the book. "Thats not true Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear." Evie said like it was nothing.

"Listen to you!" I said smiling at her. "Yeah, I knew that" Jay said scoffing. "Did not" Carlos said. "Yeah, I did" he said. "There you are, Mal!" Lonnie said rushing in. I walked away from Carlos to stand on Mals right side. "I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair." She said. "Midnight snack, huh?" She exclaimed looking over at the batter. "What you guys making?" Lonnie asked. "Nothing special. Just cook-" I started saying, but Lonnies hand went into the batter and she licked the batter. "Oh, NO, NO!" Mal and Evie shouted. "Wait, wait, WAIT!" The guys shouted. "What? I'm not gonna double dip" she said wiping her finger. "Feel anything?" Evie asked her, her hands out stretched. "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal said looking anxious.

Jay of course took this as opportunity, moving closer to her leaning on a pole. "Hey, there." He said flirtatiously. Lonnie gave him a look of disgust and ignored him. "It could use some chips" she said walking over to the pantry and taking out a container. "Chips?" I asked looking at them cautiously. "And those are?" Carlos said looking at them. "Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group. Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk. And she just makes you laugh, and puts everything into perspective, and-" she stopped I mean I'm really glad she stopped. That hurt me I know she was just explaining but realizing other moms do that made it worse. I didn't realize the tears forming in my eyes.

"Why are you all looking at me like that?" Indeed everyone in the room was looking at her, as if she had just told them something horrible. "It's just different where we're from." Jay said looking down. "Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought. . . even villains love their kids." I gasped audibly. I turned around and walked to stand next to Carlos again. I lifted myself up onto the counter and stared at the floor. My mom loved me, didn't she? Carlos put an arm around my shoulder gently rubbing circles on my back occasionally.

"Oh. . . How awful" she said a tear escaping her eye. I felt like crying to, but I have never cried and I won't break my streak. Mal snatched her tear flicking it into the batter. "Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Really, really, have a good night. Evil dreams" Mal said pushing her out the door. "Okay, Y/n-" she stopped talking when she saw me still staring at the ground. "Actually, boys, cookie sheet. Evie, oven" she ordered.

Mal walked over to me and sat where Carlos was. "You okay?" She whispered. I looked up at her I knew she could see the sadness, but I still lied. "Yeah, yeah I'm okay." I said hopping down and helping clean up. "Okay, I think we can go sleep now" Evie said. I was standing against the door frame of the kitchen, staring into the abyss. Carlos looked over at me and said something to the guys. "I'm gonna walk around with Y/n help her clear her head. You know how she gets with these things." He said everyone else agreed and said goodnight.

"Wanna walk?" He asked me. I nodded and we walked out of the school to the field. I sat down and Carlos sat down right next to me. "Y/n, look at me" he said I looked at him holding in my tears. "It's okay to cry" he wrapped his arms around me and I repeated the action. I didn't cry. I couldn't. Not now. After an hour of staring at the stars me and Carlos went to bed after saying goodnight. I laid down the soft covers warming me up. And before I knew it I was asleep.