08.

Brianna stuck her hands in her hoodie pockets as the wind started to pick up. The cold air hit her on her face, making her squint. She picked up her pace, as she was now nearing the entrance to the apartment complex, hand stopping the door before it closed.

She rubbed her hands together to produce warmth. She hadn't noticed Sam was a few steps in front of her until she looked up, noticing her hair sway left and right, walking with purpose. Brianna jogged her way closer. "Hey Sam."

Sam turned over her shoulder at the sound of a familiar voice, her face softening when she set her eyes on the girl she adored. "Hey Bri, just got back from work?"

"Yep. Finally Friday." They stopped by the stairway. Sam suddenly gazed lower, noticing the girl only had a thin hoodie to accompany her throughout the chilly weather. "Jesus, Bri. Are you not cold?" Sam's fingers rubbed on her hoodie, confirming that it was in fact too thin. Brianna looked down at her attire, sheepishly smiling. "Just a little."

They locked eyes and Brianna could see the worry in the way Sam's eyebrows furrowed. "Might have underestimated how cold it would be today." Brianna played with her finger. Nonetheless, Sam's eyes softened. "C'mon, let's get you warmed up." She said, rubbing the girl's arm before settling down to her hand. They made their way upstairs, passing by people going about their day. No matter how many times they've held hands – which was only a few times – the spark was always there, shooting through their bodies like fireworks. Suddenly Brianna didn't feel so cold anymore.

"I mean, we're halfway through October, you should know by now." Said Sam, letting go of her hand to search for the keys. "Yeah I know." She looked around while waiting for Sam to get the door unlocked and she noticed Danny, their neighbor, walking out his apartment. She gave him a smile, waved at him and he returned one back before disappearing down the stairs. She failed to see the jealous look Sam shot, just barely missing it as Sam instantly looked back at the door when she saw Brianna turning her head back.

Brianna saw her hand freeze by the doorknob and before she could say anything, Sam turned to face her. "How about we order Pizza for dinner. Have a little movie night." Hopeful eyes stared into hers. Brianna was going to agree – how could she not when Sam looked at her like that – before a question popped up. "Don't you have your appointment with your therapist?" She furrowed her eyes.

"Yeah but, why not skip for today. I want to spend some time with you, and Tara." If Brianna heard the pause Sam did before saying Tara's name, she didn't mention it. Instead she gave her a delighted smile, her eyes suddenly brightening up. "That would be great."

With the twist of the doorknob, they were greeted by Tara, decorating the living room with small skeletons scattered around, placing the last one in the middle of the coffee table, sitting down.

"Pizza's here!" Sam shouted, more so to Brianna as she was in her room, having just finished showering. Tara sat on the couch, remote on hand searching for a movie. Brianna quickly dried her hair as best as she could before making her way to the living room. The only source of light was the television, now playing the nightmare before christmas. As Sam came back from the kitchen with a pile of napkins, she couldn't help but gaze over Brianna's figure more than she needed to. Her short, damp, messy hair on display. She wished she could take a picture.

Brianna made her way to the couch, helping herself to a slice of pizza and sitting down on the right side of the couch, Tara on the left. "I'll be back." Said Sam, making her way into her room.

It seemed Tara had been prepared as she already had her pillow and blanket ready. She got comfortable before turning to look to her side, making sure Sam wouldn't be able to hear what she had to say next. "So, have you told Sam how you feel about her?" The younger girl said almost in a whisper, facing Brianna. Tara chuckled as she saw the way the girl swallowed harshly, clearing her throat. "What?"

Tara rolled her eyes, leaning her head back on the couch. "Oh come on. I see the way you look at her." She took a bite of her pizza while Brianna sat there, mouth agape. "Might I add, the way she also looks at you." Brianna turned to the television to avoid eye contact. "Is it that obvious?" Tara let out a laugh giving the girl the answer she needed. The older girl sighed in disappointment. "No I haven't."

"Look, she clearly feels the same way. I say go for it." Tara said, and as if in perfect timing, Sam made her way out of her room, with a thick blanket and some pillows. She took her seat in between the two, handing Brianna a pillow. "Here I brought this." She then spread the blanket on top of the both of them. From her peripheral vision, Brianna could see the knowing look Tara was sending her way and her cheeks soon warmed up.

For the next hour, they peacefully enjoyed the movie filling their bellies with as much pizza as they could. Brianna must have been tired because she was now asleep, unknowingly resting her head on Sam's shoulder. 

It wasn't long before her eyes started opening at Tara's voice, not registering that she was saying her goodnights. She blinked a few times, adjusting to the television in front of her. She shot her head up once she realized the credits were rolling. "Oh shit." She turned to her left. "Sorry, I didn't realize I fell asleep on you."

Sam shook her head in dismissal, shooting her a small smile. "No it's okay. I didn't want to wake you up. You looked peaceful." She said softly. It was now that Brianna noticed how close they really were, Sam's warmth radiating off her. The blanket was not helping and soon she felt like she was overheating. Her eyes gazed lower to Sam's oh so soft lips.

She wasn't sure if her eyes were deceiving her, but she swore she saw Sam inching closer. She froze, afraid one wrong move would send Sam far away.

Her breath hitched when she felt a warm hand resting on her cheek, before making its way to the back of her head. Fingers tangling against her hair. Brianna shivered, briefly closing her eyes at the feeling. "Is this okay?" Sam whispered, just centimeters away from her lips.

They locked eyes. "Yes."

Brianna felt soft lips molding with hers, and her whole world suddenly became ten times brighter. She could tell Sam had been waiting for this with how she was kissing her – she couldn't blame her, she was feeling the same way – yet it still felt tender. Brianna inhaled through her nose, smelling the soft coconut scent of Sam's conditioner she always used, clouding her mind. She wondered if the older girl could hear her heartbeat with how close they were. Brianna's hand found her way to the back of Sam's neck, with the desperation she's been trying to keep to herself. Heavy breathing was the only thing that could be heard.

With each kiss, the intensity built. A dance of lips that spoke volume without a single word being uttered. Everything else faded away as both girls got lost in the blissful embrace of their shared kiss.

-