|Nice To Meet You|

After relaxing for about 15 minutes third period ended and I was now on my way to fourth. I walked in to see two people there so far, never seen them before. And Mr. Downey writing away on the board with his back turned to the class. I didn't want to take the chance of taking someones seat so I took the farthest desk in the back.

Perfect.

Mr. Downey turned around, sat on the edge of his desk and crossed his arms waiting for his students to come in, he looked over...I didn't make direct eye contact at first until I was positive he was starring at me, after the uncomfortability started to set in I turned to check if he was looking at someone behind me or anything.

He wasn't.

When I turned back he was strolling down my aisle already more than half way to where I was sitting. He stopped a couple feet short of my desk and put his hands in his pockets and starred down at me, I shyly looked up at him... Why does he make me nervous?

"Distant are we?" He cocked a brow.....my face went blank..

"oh uh...no sir...I ju-"

"Don't call me sir..I'm not that old." He quickly cut in.

Oh.

"Oh sorry.." I said looking down. "I didn't want to take anyone's seat."

There was a pause that made me uneasy..like...why hadn't he answered yet? I cautiously looked up to see him squeezing the bridge of his nose, covering his eyes while smiling...he chuckled, "Miss. DeAngelo, it seems in your attempt to escape confrontation you've actually ran into it huh."

I furrowed my eyebrows, I'm confused?

"The first spot my students go to are the back seats." He said motioning towards my area.

My mouth formed into an 'O', I see what he was getting at...

With that he turned back on his heels and sauntered back to the edge of his desk as the students began to pour into the classroom. I quickly grabbed my bag and went over and sat in the corner of the front row.

I heard him greet the other students as they walked in. Some girls walked slowly past him obviously being flirtacious, one of those girls happened to be the orangutan I spoke to at lunch.. oddly enough I'm not suprised she would be trying to flirt with a teacher like Mr. Downey, obviously he's incredibly handsome but please even wild animals like herself must have some sort of decency.

"Hi Mr. Downey..Hope you had a good weekend"...

"Hey Mr.Downey how did your weekend go?"

Sluts. Those questions were repeated by about five girls as Mr. Downey just smiled and said "Fine." Not trying to give them anything to talk about I'm sure.

Some boy with shoulder length dirty blonde hair and a lip piercing strolled in and gave Mr. Downey a high-five "Get any ass this weekend Mr. Downey?" I can't believe he just said that!

Mr. Downey looked at him sternly, "Jason what did I tell you about referring to women as 'ass'.." He paused..."and no sadly I didn't." He had a mischievous smile, Jacob laughed..

"Hey there is always another weekend Mr.Downey."

"That's true Jacob." He said with a head nod and smirk on his face.

'uff, pigs.'

Once everyone took their seat Mr. Downey began class. He clasped his hands together..."So class what is better then reading a play? Can someone answer that? " He paced the front of the classroom waiting for anyone to answer. He paused mid step "Please not all at once." People smiled..

"Very well then I'll enlighten you.....acting in a play." He pulled a folded paper from his backpocket and held it in the air "And what is something somewhat sacred to a play? Something a play must always have?"

Silence..

His eyes roamed the room, he sighed "Please try to contain yourselfs..." Everyone laughed..

He slammed the paper onto the desk in front of him and looked up, I actually jumped.. "The playbill." He said with a smile, it's obvious that he was very passionate about what he teaches.."I'm going to need someone to draw a cover for the playbill and please...don't volunteer if you have the art skills of a four year old, no offense."

He walked over and sat on his desk with his arms crossed across his chest. Everyone glanced at one another.."Well..if someone doesn't volunteer I'm just going to have to choose someone.." He said challenging the class.

Is that supposed to convince us?

There was another long pause. He stood from his desk and walked to the board his back was turned to the class as he wrote the name 'Jolene' on the board in big letters, he turned around with a mischievous smile on his face, "Jolene, how nice of you to volunteer, it is very much appriecated my dear. I've seen your doodles when you're not paying attention to my lessons, so now you'll actually receive credit for it!" he smiled wickedly, god so much sass.

Everyone laughed, Jolene rolled her eyes and pouted "Whatever Mr. Downey." He turned around and presented the scripts, he passed by each desk and handed them out, doing a curtesy each time a student grabbed the scirpt from his hand, everyone laughed..except me I just sat there quietly, and when he got to me he gave me a curtsey and then a wink, which actually made me smile and my cheeks burn up..

Stop, he's stupid.

Someone read aloud "The Tempest?"

Someone else read "By William Shakespeare?" then the class groaned in unison.

Mr.Downey smirked, "Ah, Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

People talked amongst themselves and looked over the script when a knock came from the door, Mr. Downey opened it and there stood Josh. The boy who walked me to study hall, and behind him was a truancy officer, the man was big and masculine with a deep voice. Hhe made Mr. Downey look like a midget.

"He says this is his 4th period class, is that true."

Mr. Downey smirked "And what if I say no?" he said, eyeballing Josh. "Yes, this is his class."

"Very well then. Next time you are caught there will be suspension." With that bigfoot left and Josh walked in and Mr.Downey patted his back "Better luck next time kid."

Josh shrugged, a group of guys noticed him walking in, "Hey Josh, over here."

He walked towards them until he locked eyes with me and turned around mid stride. "WellAmanda if you would of told me you had this class I wouldn't of tried to skip." he grinned showing his pearly whites.

He took the seat next to me and glanced at the script infront of me, "The Tempest huh...this should be....boring." he put emphasis on 'boring' and Mr. Downey gave him.the dirtiest look, he took notice that Josh decided to stay with me and walked over.

He stood infront of my desk with his hands in his pockets, "I hope Mr. Mandel here isn't harassing you."

Before I could answer Josh answered for me.."Take it easy Mr. Downey she's my new friend."

I smiled and Mr.Downey shifted uneasily and turned "Very well then."

A couple minutes later the bell rang and everyone shuffled out, Josh waited for me outside of class and Mr. Downey stood next to the doorway, when I was walking towards the door I smiled at him and he reached out and touched my forearm.."I hope you will consider being in the play Miss. DeAngelo."

My smile dropped, why me?

"Erm.....I-I don't know..I'll consider it." He smiled and walked back to his desk, I had to force myself to start walking out of his class.

Wait...why'd I have to force myself?

Josh was waiting with a smile, he walked me to my 5th period Trigonometry Class and asked me if I wanted to go to a Cafe after school, which I agreed to. I couldn't help but feel giddy with anticipation waiting for after school, but at the same time I couldn't shake the feeling I got when Mr. Downey reached out and touched me...yes it was just a light arm touch, big whoop...but in a way it felt like so much more.

_____________