Cɦɑpteɾ 7

♪ Anything, anything that you gotta get through
Hey, I got you ♪

Charles Leclerc POV

I couldn't stop looking at him, legs curled up and falling asleep as she caressed him. He feels comfortable with her and I'm glad he has someone he bonded with, I never thought I would see this by now.

"Lucas was born in 2017, and his mom and I weren't together. She had a thing for me, she got pregnant after we got involved while I was seriously drunk, and she thought she would lock me up after that. When I didn't, it just made her mad; she started resenting him, so I asked for primary custody. She gave up her rights, called me all names on the planet, and was gone right before he turned 3. She also spilled out that she messed with the condom on purpose."

I don't remember ever telling this to anyone outside of the family. Everyone noticed how distant she was to Lucas, so it was no surprise she disappeared and gave up her rights.

"Well, it's her loss. Having a kid to lock down a man is not a good idea, but I kind of like Lucas, so I am kind of glad she was an obsessed bitch. He is a good kid; she is the one missing out on his milestones. You are a good dad, Charles; don't convince yourself otherwise," she says calmly; no pity was felt in her voice, and I didn't see any of it on her face.

Everyone pitied me for being a single dad or Lucas for not having a mom; she didn't. She was just fine with that and I like it.

"Do you usually get along with kids? Do you have younger siblings?" I ask curiously.

"Oh, hell no. I usually run from kids, but your kid is just too cute to miss. Can you blame me? He sat like a little man while on his phone and then he looked at me with those damn green eyes and the rest is history. He got me good," she jokingly says and I am honestly surprised. They both bonded on the spot for some reason, and I only cared that he was happy with her.

"I'm glad he found someone he likes, and you seem like a good person, so I am also glad it's you," I confide in her, and she smiles.

"Well, thank you, Charles Leclerc. You raised an impeccable young man, he has great taste in women."

Her joke made us both laugh. He has good taste, I can't deny that. The last two hours of the flight were pretty quick and Lucas woke up half an hour before, he leaned on Natalie's arm and looked at something she was seeing on her iPad and I smiled, they were in their own little world.

"I like seeing him like this; she really is good for him," Max comments as he also takes a look at them.

"I'm glad they found each other on that plane, I like seeing him happy like this," I say proudly and he nods.

We got off the plane and while she took her backpack and Lucas's little suitcase, I took her suitcase and mine. Nice airport is the closest to Monaco and it's not that big of a distance, I knew my brothers would be here to get us and while we passed through security I took Lucas' suitcase and she took hers.

"Look at this pretty boy, you were sleeping on that flight," my mom says excitedly as she kneels to hug him and he nods.

"He took a big nap, almost 4 hours," I say proudly, and his attention suddenly goes elsewhere; he happily waves his little hand, and everyone looks.

"Who is that pretty girl?" My mom asks curiously.

"Natalie," Lucas responds nonchalantly and we all look at him, this is not an emergency so it is definitely not a moment where he would usually talk.

"And do you like Natalie? Is she nice to you?" Mom asks, and he nods in response to both questions. He didn't even think twice. "Is she the girl from the flight?"

"She is, mom, she is very nice. She came with us on Max's plane; she lives in Monaco too," I say as I prepare to leave the airport.

"Well, invite her to my birthday. I deserve to have my grandson happy on my day, if he is happy I am happy," she asks calmly as she starts leaving ahead of us and I take a few quick steps to get to her side.

"She works for Ferrari; that would not be correct to do. She is also a work colleague," I try to explain because I know my mom doesn't take no for an answer.

"She is also the only person who gets our boy, and I want him happy. You are friends with your colleagues; she is no different," Mom says confidently.

"I'm not doing that, I like what they have. I don't invite my colleagues to my mother's very private birthday party, and I won't start now. What they have is special and unique, and I am not screwing that up," I am final in my words, and she nods.

"Fine!" She stopped in her tracks and turned to Natalie, who just hung up her call. She darted in her direction before I could make sense of what was happening, and I tried to stop her, but it was a bit too late. "Hello darling, I am Pascale Leclerc, their mother and Lucas's grandmother."

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you; you have done an amazing job. I am Natalie Beaufoy," she says as she shakes my mom's hand excitedly, she was confused at first but I guess she got over it quickly.

"I know this might sound weird, but my son denied doing this himself. My birthday is tomorrow. Lucas is happy with you, and I am not used to seeing him happy, so I wanted to know if you would like to come over. No pressure or anything, I just want to thank you for being so nice to him," my mom is obviously nervous, and I am dreading this conversation.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to be a bother. We can have a meal at any other time, it doesn't need to be on your birthday. Also, Lucas is very nice himself so it isn't something I should be thanked for, he keeps me company too," Natalie says politely and I try not to smile.