Cɦɑpteɾ 34

♬ The wrong place at the right time
And I break down, then he's pullin' me in
In a world of boys, he's a gentleman ♬

Natalie Beaufoy POV

"Where were you? I looked for you so we could bring out the cake," she was obviously worried, and I chuckled.

"I was having some fun, bring out the cake," I say excitedly and she nods.

"You and Charles Leclerc? I thought that was a one-time thing," Jean says, and I shrug.

"It's a multiple-times thing. Got a problem with that?" I ask calmly as I walk to the bar, asking for another drink as he follows me.

"He is not like us; you are nothing to him. He will find an actress, model, or influencer. You are just filling in the blanks, baby. You deserve better," he says as he comes closer, and I stand firmly.

"Better? Do you know someone? Because it sure isn't you, Jean," I am unbothered as the drink reaches my hand, and he is too close for my taste.

"Come on, I was good enough until now," he says as he touches my cheek and I laugh.

"Good enough for a quick fuck doesn't mean worthy of me. That man just fucked the attitude out of me for minutes on end; you might want to learn something from it. Excuse me," I say as I try to push him, but he only takes a step back and hits the man behind him, Alexander Albon.

"Everything's alright, Nat?" Alex asks, and Lily also puts her hand on mine, dragging me away from him. I see the cake being brought up. I go to the middle of the huge table they had for it, and I feel Charles' presence and perfume as everyone starts singing Happy Birthday.

When the time came to blow the candles, I leaned in to do it when I felt my hair being pushed back in a ponytail. I knew it was Charles. It felt like deja vu, and I kind of liked the gesture. I blew the candles and turned to him.

"Do you like my hair that much?" I ask teasingly and he nods.

"It looks particularly good tonight," he says as he takes the hair that was in front of my face and I smile.

"That's Good to know, Leclerc," I say as I notice the cake being cut and served to everyone.

"You let him touch you again. You didn't learn a thing uh?" He asks as he gives Jean a side eye look since he was fixated on us.

"He was just telling me I deserved better. I just stayed and listened. I was curious about why you wouldn't be good enough, but he would," I told him. I noticed his anger levels rising as his posture got straighter, and I tried not to smile.

"What was his dumb reasoning?" He asks seriously, and I shrug.

"I am the one who isn't good enough for you. I might be traded in by a model, actress, or influencer, and I am only filling in the gaps. So he believes I should probably settle for him. What a nice thing to say to the birthday girl," I knew that was true, but fuck, if he said it wasn't, I would pretend to believe it until my heart got broken down the road.

"Fucking asshole. Don't tell me you believed it," he is now worried, and I shrug.

"It's not a complete lie, but I don't care for his words," I say indifferently. But something told me I would care if he indeed left me for a hotter version.

"It's a lie; I don't care for that. I've had that, and I didn't stay for a reason. Don't listen to him," he says firmly, and I nod. I can believe this. Charles was given cake, and I finally started eating mine since a friend had made small talk with us.

I was with the drivers for a good while before checking in with Marina and the girls.

"I am tired of dancing," I say as I sit down.

"That man is so damn hot," Juliette says, and I am shocked someone would just simply claim that when me and Charles have just kissed 2 minutes ago.

"Who?" I ask as I give her the benefit of the doubt since many handsome men accompany Charles.

"Charles Leclerc. Who else?" She is fixated on him, and he is not even looking here; he was when I walked here, but not now.

"He sure is hot," I say dryly as I sip my drink.

"I might as well take the chance; I will never be in the same space as him," she says as she gets up, and I stand in front of her.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I ask, completely perplexed by her actions. Is this a test? I looked at Marina, and she looked as shocked as me. She also got up and gave us our space, but I knew she would step in when needed.

"Why? He is single. Don't think that highly of yourself, Nat. You always put yourself on this pedestal no one can ever reach; he isn't yours to keep," she says it so calmly I almost felt like I was hearing it all wrong.

"What are you rambling about? I never did that," I am shocked by her stupidity, and she pushes me aside.

"You know how she is," Marina says, and I shake my head, disapproving of her attitude.

She was known to be a back stabbing bitch when it came to men, I never defended her actions, I was never that close to her, she was more a friend of a friend and that friend was completely apologetic as I looked at her.

"Aren't you going?" The friend asks and I shake my head.

"I am not the jealous type; he can handle her himself," I say calmly, but inside, I was seething in rage and almost exploding to see his reaction.

She finally got to him and touched his shoulder. He turned and seemed surprised; his politeness was clear, the smile was nothing but a formality, and I felt relieved. The more she was there, the less relieved I felt. Why isn't she walking away? Why did he stay?