5

Can bet a d damn nuff ooman weh live dung in a d lane call mi name to mommy

"A new taxi driver, Mommy and him, say him a carry mi round today," I told her, then took a spoon of soup in my mouth. Taking a second longer to look at me, she walked away.

After eating dinner, Brit called me telling me about Devaughn. Surprisingly, she said that they didn't have sex. He had asked her to be his girlfriend. He even offered to pick her up from school and carry her back home.

Love that fi har!

However, she told him she would think about it because she was scared of being in a relationship.

"Girl mi nuh know weh fi tell him seh because apart from him big sumn mi actually like him" She sighed. " Mi nuh want the same thing weh happen to mommy happen to mi"

Her father had just gotten up one day, moved out his furniture, and left her in the empty house crying while her mom and brother were at work. No explanation. Nothing. He still keeps in contact with her but only to ask her if she needs anything. Nothing else.

"Girl mi nuh waa tell yuh seh him wouldn't do that cause wi nuh know weh him a think seh but if him a prove say him want a relationship with yuh right now then go ahead. I'm gonna be honest with you it nuh look good fi you as an eighteen-year-old girl be sleeping with every guy that says hi to you. Mi know seh tings happen to yuh weh will cause yuh fi to act out sometimes but if yuh continue fi behave like yuh nuh care bout nth a you a go feel it in a the long run. Think bout yuh future girl. Memba seh we plan fi get rich together enuh girl" I told her.

Sighing, she said, "Girl, a true ya talk mi been a think bout it fi a while now and mi just feel like mi need likkle guidance. Wid mommy overseas a work and mi bredda occupied wid him ooman mi only have mi self. All dem do a give mi money fi go school and buy whatever mi want but mi nuh have nobody fi talk to. And if sumn happen mi bredda only rough mi up and blame mi and nuh siddung and talk to mi."

"Mi understand yuh mama but anytime yuh feel like u want somebody fi talk to mi always deh here fi yuh," I told her.

"Thanks, sis."

After telling me she had homework to do, we hung up, and then I went straight back to bed.

》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》

Guess who was waiting on me at the crossroads the next morning?

You guessed damn right!

No passenger was in the vehicle, and the moment I arrived, he signaled me to the car.

Lawd God him a go gi dem ppl ya tings fi talk bout mi now!!!

Opening the car door, I saw the fare that I gave him yesterday, still sitting on the seat. Hissing my teeth, I take it up and put it in my bag.

"Yuh know how fare expensive and mi a give yuh and yuh nuh want it. Somebody else will take it, " I mumbled as I sat and closed the car door.

"Good morning to you too, Nya." He laughed.

While driving off, I heard a woman say, "See all she a gwaan like she cya mash ants and have man a pick har up"

All she can guh suck har muma

"Good morning, sir," I answered.

"My name is Ryan, Nya." He smiled.

Wow, I love his smile

"Thank you, Nya," He chuckled.

"Did I say that out loud?" I asked him.

"Yes, you did." He replied. Smiling, I looked out the window.

"Do you work at the clinic or the hospital?" He asked after some time.

"The clinic," I answered. He didn't say anything after that.

"Why?" I pushed.

"I'm gonna drop you." He shrugged.

"Umm... no, that's okay. I'll walk from the taxi stand, " I told him, but he didn't answer. I sighed as I saw him turn off towards the clinic.

"At least let me pay the fare," I told him, and he still did not reply. I was getting frustrated at this point.

"Why are you doing this, Ryan?"

"Because I want to Nya" was his response.

"Did I agree to this?" I asked him.

"No, but -"

"There you go. I didn't, and I don't feel comfortable with you doing this if I didn't agree, " I say, cutting him off. He stopped in front of the clinic gate and shut the car off.

"I'm sorry again, Anaya. I just caught a liking to you yesterday, and I couldn't get you out of my head ever since. I thought I could get to know you by doing something nice like this for you, but I'm sorry I overstepped my boundaries. I won't be bothering you again. " He said, looking defeated.

"All you had to do was ask Ryan. " I said to him.

"It's okay. I won't be bothering you after this," He said, starting the car again, signaling me to get going.

"I'm sorry if I came off harsh, Ryan," I said, but he wasn't looking at me. "I took a liking to you as well," By this all, his attention was on me. "But I would have appreciated it even more if you had asked me." I smiled at him. He smiled as well.

"Friends?" I asked, extending my hand. He took my hand and shook it.

"So does that mean I can get your number now?" He asked.

"Baby steps, Ryan," I told him as I exited the car. Honking his horn, he drove off.

"Yuh have man now?" the security asked me as I walked towards the clinic.

"Morning to you too, Mr. Brown, " I said, passing him.

Work was the same routine as every day, and as always I was tired at the end of the day. I didn't see Ryan in the evening so I took another taxi and went home. Mommy said she wasn't feeling well so I decided to cook dinner. I asked my brother to keep my company in the kitchen by preparing the juice for dinner.

Mommy would a make him sit down and play game then cuss after but mi nah play wid him. She can stay deh grow him as a weak jelly back!

For dinner, it was brown stew chicken and rice. My brother used sharkleberry to mix the juice. I carried mommy's food to her and gave her the pressure tablets so that she wouldn't have to get up too much. My brother and I decided to sit and eat on the verandah where we ate, chatted, and laughed. I loved the bond I had with my siblings. It's been a while since I've sat and talked with my brother too.

Night had already fallen and we were mindlessly scrolling through our phones while still sitting on the verandah.

"Anaya!"

"Anaya!"

I looked up hearing the voice of my chatterbox neighbor from in the lane shouting my name.

"Yes, Miss Lyza?" I answered shouting back.

"Come here mi dear" I heard her call again.

Hissing my teeth I told my brother to bring the plates to the kitchen and close the door.

Nuh know weh she ca call mi fa

"Tell mommy mi a go down a Miss Lyza and come back," I told my brother as he closed the door.

It took only less than a minute to reach her yard. "Yes Miss Lyza" I called out to her. She was standing in the yard with someone else but I couldn't make out the person she was talking to.

"Miss Anaya a young man came and was asking fi you enuh. Him say him nuh waa pass him place and come in a yuh yard so him tell mi to call you" She said walking towards me with the person.

And can you lovely people guess who that young man was???

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Comment and vote ⬇️