Reki Kyan: Torment [Part 1]

The scene was entertaining. For years I had been raised to be the best, constantly set up for achieving first in everything, whether it was grades, competitions, appearance, anything and everything...my parents only wanted for methane an arsenal of skills to use when and if I needed them. The one I took the most interest in was sport, namely skateboarding. I had achieved countless things in my career and it satisfied my parents...so I now don't have to focus on the competitive side as much. However I have now taken advantage of that and found out about an illegal race that happens frequently in my town, and I've been going for a couple years now, so I was quite a well known name and face there. 

I smiled to myself, watching a teenager slide off his board mid-race against Shadow. The eyes of this person, in their late teens, maybe nearing close to twenty, drifted to me as I began to quietly laugh. How can someone make such a daft mistake? My eyes met his and I calmed down, my laugh slipping into a smirk. He awkwardly looked away, pushing himself to stand up and collecting his board, which happened to be near to me. 

"You know, if you're going to fail every time..." His eyes hesitantly met mine. "You really shouldn't bother trying." I nudged his board towards him with my foot. He stayed quiet, not muttering a single word in response as he turned around and moved to meet his friend who was just a little further down the course. I could see his friend from here...the snowboarder...Interesting. My eyes followed the two as they went off, briefly glancing back to me as my smirk grew, offering the snowboarder a small taunting wave. 

_____________________

It continued on like this every time the redhead raced, or the snowboarder, who had become infamous around 'S'. Slowly I started coming across the pair together or apart outside of the night, practicing their skating at the park by the beach, on some hills, parking lots, et cetera. However, at some point I started noticing the redheaded his own instead of with his friend, who I usually saw with others from S, like Cherry or Joe, even Miya Chinen....the little protege, who would never live up to my name when I was his age. The redhead was on his own more, turning up to S less often, out in public less often. 

I slowed my pace as I skated through the town past some shops, noticing something interesting poking from an alleyway. I came to a stop and picked up my board, going closer and noticing a kicked over trashcan, a burned skateboard buried in it. Interesting. Underneath all the trash and charcoal, this board seemed quite well-used, it'd been through a lot before this. I smiled softly, gently pulling it out of the trashcan, immediately recognising the yellow base. My smile faded slightly. The stickers were beginning to peel off now, and the vibrant paint had been charred, but not badly enough to make it so it couldn't be saved. I was silent as I stared at it. The trucks were in tack, still useable. Most of the wheels were okay, a little miss-shaped...After some thought, I set my board on the floor and tucked the burned one through my backpack, heading off home. 

"(Y/n), what's that board?" My younger brother asked as I walked into the house, taking my bag off and moving towards my room.

"Just found it in the trash, it's still useable, so..." He shrugged and went back to his phone, minding his own business. I there my board onto my bed with my bag, taking the secondary board to the garage, where we happened to have a sanding belt and other things to make custom board -  mom picked it up when I started showing a strong interest in skateboarding. 

I quietly walked up a hill, not far from the S course, where everyone was currently as it was the middle of the night. Hesitation washed over me as I approached a house. I'd never been here, and my brother went to school with this kids a couple years ago, so he gave me directions to this house. I hope this was the right one...I took deep breath and walked up to the door, knocking gently. After a couple seconds,  the door opened to reveal a teenage girl around the age of seventeen. She's not much younger than me...a couple years maybe...

"Hello..." She greeted, hesitant since she didn't know who I was. The board was behind me, being held by my linked hands.

"Hi...um...does Reki live here?" She nodded, closing the door slightly and calling back into the house. 

"Reki! A girl's here for you!" She laughed a little, turning back to me. "He should be here in a minute, just wait here." I nodded, awkwardly looking around their garden as she wandered off into the house. I heard some soft footsteps, turning back to look at the door when they came to a stop. Reki was stood halfway to the door, just staring at me, confused. His hair didn't have a bandana in, like every time I had seen him previously.  He looked exhausted, sad even. 

"Hi...I wanted to say I'm sorry...for everything I've said, or done..." He came up to the door, without saying a word, dressed in sweatpants. and a t-shirt. I avoided eye-contact, while his eyes never left me. "I know what I've said in the past isn't excusable...and I really am sorry..." I briefly looked to him to see his expression soften. He leaned down and grabbed his shoes from beside the door, quickly slipping them on before taking a step towards me to leave his house. I moved out of the way without a word as he closed the door. 

"Follow me...?" I slowly nodded and quietly followed after him, out of his garden and a little ways down the road to a sweet little area. It was void of vehicles, quiet, calm, dimly lit by streetlights... There was a little brick wall to sit or lean on, so he did.

"I know you're not skating anymore...andI feel partially, if not entirely responsible for that." His hands were stuffed into his pockets as he listened. "And you're not around your friends...or at S..."

"You noticed?" I nodded.

"You've got colourful hair...it's hard to miss." I smile sadly to myself. I caught a glimpse of a smile from him. 

"Oh, um, I found this." The board I had been holding was gently held out to him. Reki sat up a little and took the board from my hands, his fingers lightly brushing mine. I felt my cheeks flush a little as they grew warm. 

"My board..."

"It was um, quite burnt....the wheels were the wrong shape...and the stickers were peeling, so I did my best-" The speed at which he looked up caused me to fall quiet. 

"You fixed it?" I nodded, chewing my lip.

"I felt bad about how I've treated you..." I sucked in a deep breath. "You're not bad at skating...you never were..." His stare was unfaltering. "I don't like when people could beat me...I'm competitive...I need to be the best..." For once my walls were down, and I was being fully honest with this boy.

"I get it...you were raised that way..." I nodded, finally meeting his eyes. He had the softest, most understanding smile I had ever seen in my life. "I know people like that..." He looked back down to his now fixed board. "You didn't have to do this...I could've just made a new one..." I perked up a bit, intrigued by his statement.

"Make a new one?" He looked up from the board and to me, nodding a little bit, confused. 

"Yeah...I made my board, and Langa's board-"

"The snowboarder?" He nodded again and I bit my lip in thought. "Would you able to make me a more casual board...?" His brow furrowed. 

"What do you mean? Don't you have loads of boards?" I nodded with a shrug. 

"Well, yeah, and my lovely mother makes them....but they're all for competitions or indoor sort of practices, she's really fussy about them..." I sighed, moving to lean against the wall beside him. "I've never had a board that I can use outside and just mess around with...." I smiled softly. "To do what you do...race at S, just around town without having to worry about falling, or scuffing it, or it hitting a wall, a drain, going through mud...." There was silence between us for a few minutes. 

"I can make you one..." I turned to look at him, noticing the soft smile on his lips as he looked over a couple of new things on his board. 

"Are you sure...?" He nodded, lightly touching the few new stickers I had tried to fit where the last ones had been. 

"As a thank you, for fixing mine..."

"You don't have to, I'd be happy to pay you-"

"It's fine, really...I need something to get me back into it all." In a tired manner, he turned his head to me with a smile. "Right?" I nodded,  returning his tired smile. 

"Who would teach me the S track if you didn't?"