Chapter 1 - Out of Your System

"Why the hell are you here, you douche?" Mia asked viciously, her arms crossed as she leant against the front door.

"I, uh, I'm here to talk to Ryan," Will replied timidly. Mia might be small and he might be stronger than her, but Will had a feeling that she could still do a hell of a lot of damage. He didn't need to piss her off.

"Well he doesn't want to see you," she countered, lifting herself of the door and motioning to slam it in Will's face. He was quicker, however, and was able jam his foot in the doorway, wincing as the heavy wooden door slammed hard against his foot. "Move your foot and leave, no-one wants you here," she said, kicking at his foot and pushing harder on the door.

"No, let me speak to Ryan," Will urged, trying to push his weight on the door to budge it open, but Mia was surprisingly strong.

"Why, so you can hurt him even more than you already have?" she opposed, her voice strained as she used all her strength against the door.

"Like you can talk. Who was the one sleeping with a ton of guys behind his back?" Will bit back, continuing the pushing battle.

"Well, I never said another guy's name in bed," she spit back.

"Yeah, because you two never slept together. How does it make you feel that your ex-boyfriend has only ever slept with a guy?" he said provokingly.

"Well, I'm here now and I'm gonna make him forget about your faggoty ass, I'll make sure of it," she countered before both heard someone clear their throat down the hall.

"Mia, stop that right now," Ryan said before ordering her to go back to his room. Mia huffed, stopping her pushing as she moved away from the door. Will, not prepared for her to stop, was still leaning against the door and tumbled into the hallway. Mia glared at him before turning around and doing what Ryan had asked her to do. Will righted himself as he waited by the front door, unsure what to do now.

"Why are you here?" Ryan questioned, limping closer to Will before stopping a few feet in front of him. They were closer but yet still so far away.

"I just wanted to apologise for what I did," Will said, suddenly feeling incredibly nervous. All the planning he'd done in his head in the last 24 hours all flew out of his head and his mind went blank as to what he was going to say. "I, uh, I should not have said Oliver's name, that was bad of me," he said feebly, shuddering internally at how stupid he was sounding.

"Yes, it was," was Ryan's only reply.

Will waited a bit before realising that Ryan wasn't going to say anything else. "I'm so sorry, Ryan; so, so very sorry. It's all my fault and I wish I hadn't hurt you like I did. I never wanted to hurt you like that, you don't deserve that. You treated me so well the entire time we were dating and now I see what an asshole I was to you the whole time. I see that and I apologise. I'm sorry," Will rambled, partially remembering some of what he'd planned.

"You weren't an asshole, Will. You are a great guy, and there were many great things about you. But there are a lot of bad things about you too. You're selfish, and self-obsessed, and self-centred, and... all that sort of stuff," Ryan replied.

Will frowned. Something was off. This wasn't the Ryan he knew or was expecting. The Ryan he knew would be flying off the handle right now, swearing and yelling at him as he tried to get Will away from him. Maybe even some crying. But this Ryan was calm, like if he'd just taken a handful of Xanax after meditating to whale calls. "You're very calm right now. Shouldn't you be yelling at me?"

"Yeah, I probably should," Ryan agreed. "It's probably the painkillers I'm on right now."

"Why are you on painkillers?" Will asked. Last he remembered, Ryan was close to getting his cast off and had stopped taking his painkillers weeks ago. He frowned, worried about what had happened. Sure, Ryan may not be his boyfriend anymore, but Will still cared about him.