Chapter 2 - Strike First

"So, are we going to get the karate pajamas, too?" Miguel asked, eyeing Johnny's unusual attire.

"Quiet!" Johnny barked, causing Y/N to instinctively cover his ears.

"Damn, that was loud," Y/N complained, still wincing from the noise.

"The student only speaks when spoken to. Is that understood?" Johnny demanded.

"Yes," Miguel replied, but Johnny remained silent.

"Yes, sir?" Y/N asked.

"You will always address me as 'Sensei.' Is that understood?" Sensei Lawrence corrected them.

"Yes, Sensei," Y/N and Miguel replied in unison.

"These aren't pajamas; this is a gi, and you'll get one when you've earned it. All right, are you ready to begin your training?" Sensei Lawrence inquired. Y/N glanced at Miguel.

"Yes, Sensei," they both shouted back before being swiftly taken to the ground. Y/N's head thumped against the ground, causing dizziness.

"What the—" Miguel began.

"Is going on?" Y/N finished.

"Lesson one, strike first. Never wait for the enemy to attack," Sensei Lawrence declared, leaving the two newcomers puzzled.

"You could have given us, like, a warning," Miguel pleaded.

"Yeah, man, I could have seriously injured myself," Y/N added, gingerly touching the back of his head.

"Quiet! We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. On the street, in competition, a man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy. What is the problem, Mr. Diaz?" Sensei Lawrence asked, noticing the inhaler in Miguel's hand.

"There's no problem, Sensei. You punched me, and I have asthma, so..." Miguel started before the inhaler was snatched from his grasp and thrown against the wall.

"Not anymore. We do not allow weakness in this dojo. So leave your asthma and peanut allergies and all that other stuff outside. Is that understood?" Sensei asked.

"Yes, Sensei," they both replied, feeling defeated.

"Cobra Kai isn't just about karate. It's about a way of life. Take that first lesson. Striking first is the initial step towards victory. Okay, like when you're at a party and you see a hot babe. You don't wait for some other guy to go talk to her first, do you?" Sensei Lawrence challenged the pair.

"Hell no," Y/N replied.

"I mean, I've never been to a party, so..." Miguel's response was quite different.

"Big surprise. All right, look... striking first is about being aggressive, all right? If you're not aggressive, then you're being weak, and you don't want to be weak. You want to have courage." Sensei Lawrence explained once more.

"Don't you think you're using a lot of gendered language?" Miguel asked, while Y/N decided to stay out of it.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Johnny demanded.

"Oh, my guidance counselor says that certain words perpetuate a sexist worldview that can be triggering—" Miguel started to explain but was cut off.

"Quiet! From now on, you won't listen to your guidance counselor. You're going to listen to me. Is that understood?" Sensei Lawrence insisted.

"Uh, yes, Sensei," Miguel replied.

"Now, stop yapping like little girls and give me 50 push-ups on your knuckles," the Sensei ordered.