7

Over the next few days Maddie is doing so much better, she's not in as much pain and is talking to me about what's she's thinking. She's coming back to training today, just to meet with the medics to get an assessment of when she can play.
Leah: you ready babe?
Maddie: how many people know about the other day?
Leah: I haven't told anyone. I just told them you were out walking, no one knows okay?
Maddie: but what if they do, what if they ask me questions.
Leah: they won't beautiful, they won't.
Maddie: are you sure?
Leah: I'm sure.
I kiss her forehead.
We both get in the car and head to training.

Maddie meets with the medics whilst I go to the pitch.

Beth: how is she?
Leah: she's okay
Beth: you sure? She was out walking for hours.
Leah: yeah, she's okay. She's not fighting me anymore.
Beth: that's good.
Leah: yeah

We train hard today, it's a tough session. We have a game in a couple of days which will be a tough one. Chelsea, away, at Stamford bridge.

Jonas: great work today everyone! Leah can I have a word?
Leah: yeah sure.
Everyone starts walking inside.
Jonas: how's she doing?
Leah: better, a lot better
Jonas: that's great news, so no one else knows?
Leah: no, I only told you because you are our coach, she doesn't know you know and I'd like to keep it that way please.
Jonas: of course, I'm here for you both, whatever you need okay?
Leah: yeah thanks
Jonas: get to recovery.
Leah: yes boss.
I salute him and he laughs. I run off to recovery.

I stay in the ice bath for 15 minutes, before getting out and going to get changed.
Leah: anyone seen Maddie?
Steph: no
Viv: she went outside
Leah: she did?
Viv: yeah
Leah: thanks.

I walk outside to see Maddie kicking a ball around. I watch her for a while before walking over to her.
Leah: hey
She turns around with a big smile on her face.
Leah: good news then?
Maddie: I can start training next week.
Leah: baby that's great!
I pick her up and hug her tight.
Maddie: I love you Leah, I'm sorry for everything I've put you through.
Leah: I love you, all that matters now is that you're okay.
Maddie: are you okay?
Leah: yeah I'm okay, just glad you're getting better.
I kiss her softly before holding her hand and walking back inside with her.

Maddies POV:
The next week:

Maddie: babe let's go!
Leah: I'm coming I'm coming!
Bruno is sat on the sofa.
Maddie: goodbye my boy, we won't be long okay?
I kiss his head. He has not left my side in months. Todays the day I leave him. I don't want to but I do at the same time.

Leah: ready?
Maddie: yeah
Leah kisses Bruno too before we both go to training.
We head into the changing room.
Steph: look who finally gets to train with us!
Everyone hugs me.
Beth: so proud of you Mads.
Maddie: thanks guys, now enough of the soppy shite
Leah: yes boss!
Everyone gets back to what they were doing. I sit by my locker, and take everything in. My first day in the arsenal kit, wearing the badge I have always wanted to play for. I know it's only training but it seems like it's been months since I've played a game of football.
I mean it has been 3 months but who's counting, right?

Jonas comes into the changing room.
Jonas: right girls, busy day ahead, first of all, Maddie. It's so great to have you with us, finally! We are all so proud of what you have managed to overcome and we all can't wait to see what you do for this team.
Everyone claps. I just smile, overwhelmed by all the love and support this team have for me already.
Jonas: now down to the nitty gritty. Since the Chelsea game was postponed due to bad weather, we have Liverpool next.
Jonas talks about all the plans for the team, I know I'm not going to make the squad which is okay, my fitness is awful and I've still got a bit of recovery to go through, but this is the first step.