10

Skipping to Christmas Eve. The day I ask the love of my life to marry me. Her favourite time of year, I have the ring.

I have the set up in motion, none of our friends or family know

I have the set up in motion, none of our friends or family know. And of course, Maddie has no idea. We are in Chester this year for Christmas, but we don't travel up there till tonight, we have spent the last few days with my family, but today it's just me and Mads. I'm taking her on a day date to winter wonderland, then a "stroll" through our favourite park with Bruno. I've hired a company to set it all up whilst we are out, giving them keys to the house which is a scary thought.

Maddie: baby you ready?
Leah: er yeah, let's go.
Maddie: what's up?
Leah: nothing nothing, let's go

We spend a few hours at winter wonderland, taking in all the lights and snow that fell the previous day. I've taken so many calls throughout the day from the company, Maddie is starting to get suspicious.

Maddies POV:
Leah is on the phone for the 5th time in 3 hours. I'm starting to get annoyed.
Leah: what next babe?
Maddie: another phone call?
Leah: babe it was important.
Maddie: what's so important you have to interrupt our first day out together in ages?!
Leah: nothing babe nothing.
Maddie: nothing sounds so important.
I walk off.
Leah: baby wait please.
Maddie: no! You know this is my favourite time of year, and you're ruining it!
Leah: okay, I'll turn my phone off.
Maddie: thank you.

We spend a few more hours there before picking Bruno up from Beth's and taking him for a walk.

It's around 7.30pm and we are heading home. Leah seems nervous, her hands are sweating and she's not really talking.
Maddie: babe? What's got you all tense?
Leah: I'm okay beautiful
Maddie: is it that you are spending Christmas away from your family?
Leah: erm yeah, something like that.
Maddie: you can spend Christmas with them, I'll just go up to Chester on my own.
Leah: no baby, it's okay, I want to spend my Christmas with you.
Maddie: are you sure? Mum and dad won't mind.
Leah: I'm sure my love.

We get to the house, Leah's hands shake as she puts the key in the lock. She must be cold or something.
She heads in first then tells me to close my eyes.
Maddie: huh?
Leah: baby just close them, please just trust me. No peeking.
Maddie: okay okay.
She takes me coat off for me, and guides me to the kitchen.
Leah: open your eyes on the count of 3.
Maddie: babe you're scaring me.
Leah: don't be scared, 1, 2, 3.
I open my eyes and see this.