7. Ship In the Night

"Best dinner I've had in a long time." Burped Beda.

"Too bad our captain here is making us go back on the ship. Bet Donner could cook us up some dessert." Worm poured water on the fire.

"Would you rather the werewolf eat you for dessert instead?" Kate asked.

Worm put his hands up, "No thank you, I like my body werewolf free."

Stella gave Kate a hug before climbing into the lifeboat.

I climbed in after her and turned back to face Kate "Are we really leaving you here all by yourself?"

"Relax lover boy, she can handle herself." Donner said.

Beda nudged the back of Donner's head with an oar "Is your name Kate?"

"I'll be fine. Remember don't come on shore in the morning until you see me. Worm you're in charge..."

"I'm in charge! Woo!" He yelled.

Kate kicked the boat he was in and he tumbled onto his back.

"You're in charge of looking out and making sure no ships stop and land here. Beda is in charge while I'm away." Kate pushed Beda and Worms boat a little bit from shore "Nobody is allowed back on this island, understand?"

Everyone else agreed while I stayed silent. Kate waved us off then headed into the forest where she disappeared beyond the think brush.

                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say it was a howl that woke me up in the middle of the night. I stumbled out of my hammock tired and still half asleep. When I made my way to the deck I found Stella awake on the hammock she set up this morning.

"Can't sleep?" I asked. I guess she didn't hear me because she jumped at the sound of my voice.

"No, I worry when she's off on her own as a werewolf so of course I can't sleep."

I took a seat on top of a barrel, "You actually believe she turns into one?"

"Yes" she paused "I've never seen her turn into one myself but I did see her village...well what was left of it. Something happened there, something that I've never seen before. I believe her though, she wouldn't spend all this time searching if it wasn't true."

Confused, "Searching? Searching for what?"

"Oh yeah, she didn't tell you yet" Stella stood up "She'll probably tell you what she's searching for if you join our crew."

"IF I join, that's a big if."

Stella rolled her eyes and leaned arms crossed against the railing of the ship.

"Wait, you see that?" She pointed and I followed her gaze. There was a ship, it was sailing straight for the other side of the island.

Stella whistled and Worm poked his head out from the crows nest.

He rubbed his sleepy eyes, "What?"

"You idiot, there's another ship!"

He stood up and pulled out some sort of scope.

"Shit!" He swung down and landed right next to us "What do you think we should do?"

"We go ashore" I suggested with a shrug.

"Are you crazy?" Worm exclaimed.

Stella agreed "No, he's right."

"You're both crazy! If we go ashore we'll get eaten by that damn werewolf."

Stella shook her head and pushed past Worm "If we don't go ashore then that's a whole ship that Kate will feel guilty about slaughtering."

She started lowering one of the boats as Donner, Alex and Beda appeared from below deck.

"What's going on guys?" Beda asked. "We can hear you shouting from down below."

I helped lower another boat, "There's a ship headed to land. Stella and I are going to warn them."

Stella looked at me, surprised, "Thought you didn't believe?"

"I don't but I have to see for myself if it's true. If there's a chance those people are going to die I'm going to help save them."

Alex ran past Stella and I and landed right into one of the lifeboats.

"Looks like he's going too" Donner jumped in  the same one.

"She's going to hate us for this but oh well." Beda jumped into the other one.

"That's it you're all crazy! Those people aren't even going to believe us!" Worm shouted as Stella and I jumped into the boats too.

He through his hands up and cut the ropes letting the boats drop into the water before joining us.

Stella smirked "Now look who's crazy"

He stuck his tongue out.