13. The Blacksmith

True to her word Kate ordered us to collect as much gold and valuables as we could so we can bet on Knightly. Considering how difficult that can be in a huge city where all our wanted posters are, we only went out in small groups. Kate advised that the quickest way, of course, was to pickpocket. When Knightly protested, Kate calmed his worries by stating that we'll only pickpocket the complete and utter jackasses that have too much money and slaves of their own. After hearing that, Knightly helped draw us up each a map of where these people reside in the city.

"Grab as much as you can but be careful. Once these rich folk notice that their money and their neighbors money are disappearing, it'll make our job that much harder." Kate marked on the maps where each of us would go. "Beda and Alex, you guys stay behind and help Knightly repair the sled. You guys are in charge of getting him whatever he needs since I kind of broke the sled to begin with."

She tossed Beda a small sack which sounded like coins as he caught it in his hands.

She gestured to Worm, Donner and Stella "That leaves you three on pickpocket duty."

"Donner's arm is still hurt, why wouldn't I help?" I asked.

Donner tossed me the necklace that I did have tied around my neck, that Kate had asked Stella to make for me.

"How did you..."

"Being injured just means people don't suspect me as much."

I tied the necklace back around my neck.

"Can I sit this run out?" Stella set her map on the table. "I have a surprise I want to work on, for Knightly."

Kate looked at her very confused and uncertain.

"I promise that whatever these two idiots bring back I'll double it on the next run."

Still with uncertainty Kate however did give in.

"What will I do though?" Pretty much thought I could sit around all day. Staying out of the hot sun and all the sand but unfortunately I've been dragged outside with Kate and Stella.

Dragging my feet along I asked Stella why she was tagging along with Kate and I.

"Thought you had to work on a surprise for Knightly?"

"I am but I need supplies for it."

"What exactly are you making for him anyway?" Kate asked as she walked ahead of us, leading the way.

"Wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you as well!"

Kate sighed and I think mumbled underneath her breath. She stopped suddenly in front of a small building "Here we are"

Looking at it, the building looked more run down then anything. Also there didn't seem to be any people down the road we took anyway "And here is where?"

She ignored me. Stella and I followed her into the building. To my surprise it actually looked a lot nicer on the inside. Nicer is a loose term as the entire place was filled with weapons. Even barrels were filled with spears coming out of them.

"Kate..." Stella pulled out one of the spears. "Did you bring us here to kill us?"

"Already would have done that the moment you tried to put me in a dress."

"To be fair it was your favorite color!"

Kate waved her off and tapped on a bell on the counter. A man wearing what appeared to be an ironing mask appeared from behind a curtain from another room.

"Can I help you?"

Kate removed the cloth revealing her face before I could stop her. The man removed his mask as well. He looked about middle aged and clearly needed a bath from whatever work he seemed to be doing.