24. The Chase

The guards ran around in panic. Most of them ran to the edge of the wall and pulled out their guns shooting downwards. Knightly once more swiftly turned sideways just barely almost hitting the wall with his sled. The land shark rose up from the sand slamming itself into the gate unable to turn quick enough. Some of the guards above lost their balance and tumbled down. They hit the ground hard while the somewhat lucky ones landed on the shark. They were quickly thrown off as the land shark corrected itself now barreling after Knightly. He brought the shark circling around till it was ready to hit the gate again. Knightly looked down at his sled knowing full well it wouldn't survive another turn like that again. He ducked as bullets sailed passed him in the guards attempt to stop him leading the shark around. 

Knightly dove off the sled as it crashed into the gate along with the shark. This final crash into the gate completely shattered it. The shark was now wedged into the gate thrashing itself trying to get free. In the commotion Knightly ran towards the sled entrance. He slid on his knees avoiding the sharks tail. It whipped about four guards sending them flying into the wall. Their bones shattering on impact. Getting back on his feet he ran into the entrance, no one noticed Knightly sneaking a key for the poison bracelet. They were more concerned with the giant shark causing destruction at the gate. Knightly ran past all the panicked guards into the guard tower. Running up all the stairs he finally reached the top. Partially out of breath, he tugged on the rope activating the  alarm bell.

All the guards within the city and the pyramid were alerted. The bell signaled an entire presence for an emergency situation. Hundreds of guards ran through the city streets towards the front gate. Guards ran out of the pyramid without a care of leaving it completely unguarded. Twelve individuals snuck into the pyramid after awaiting for the guards to leave. 

Donner, Worm, Reebok, Alex, Julian, the five girls that were freed along with Camille and her brother, now known as Cameron. Cameron being a guard in the pyramid knew where everyone should split up as did the girls that were once held captive. Everyone split up, stopping at every door. Once they found the captives they unlocked the cages freeing anyone they could find. Some ran off out of the pyramid while others remained to help.

"There are animals too?" Worm asked as Alex and Donner where busy opening the animal cages.

"Might as well free them, the less the pharaoh has the better." Donner broke free some chickens that scattered out of the room. Worm left and so did Alex, Donner was about to follow them when a dog barked. Donner didn't even notice the cage in the corner of the room.

"Do worry, I'm going to get you out of here." After breaking the lock, the dog ran out, circled around Donner and sat down. Quite pleased that Donner freed him.

"Come on, lets go help some people." Even if the dog couldn't understand him, it barked and actually followed Donner out of the room.

                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We should go now" Stella stated. I took off after her. We did our best to make it through the crowd that was now scrambling to get out the arena. Another loud boom in the distance shook the arena again. I nearly toppled over some lady as she fell in front of me. 

"Hurry!" Stella yelled just ahead of me. We made our way outside of the arena and jumped off the steps. We ran down an alley way and climbed up ladders we had set up earlier to the rooftops.

"See him yet?" I asked as I crawled up the ladder.

"I can't see the pharaoh in this mess of people."

I looked over the edge. Like Kate said he should be surrounded by his guards if he makes his way out of the pyramid. Were we too late? Did he get out ahead of us?

"There!" Stella pointed to a mess of guards surrounding what looked like the Pharaoh except there were two people with their faces covered up. 

"He already figured out what we were doing?" 

Stella pulled out one of her knives "He's not a stupid man, of course he'd think to trick us by using a double. We still have to prevent him from getting back to the pyramid."

We leapt across the rooftops as the guards scrambled into four different carriages. The two look a like Pharaohs each got in a separate one. They took off. 

Stella and I chased them as they tried taking short cuts. I slid down a separate roof from Stella. Pulling out an arrow I fired it through the carriage window. A guard crawled out and fired one right back at me. On the other side Stella through a knife, hitting one of the wheels. The knife flew off and despite some damage the wheel actually stayed on. 

How do we exactly stop these things? That's when Kate ran right passed me. Even as I was running full speed to catch these carriages she overtook me completely. She got ahead of the carriages only to leap off the roof. Honestly I wanted to reach out and grab her but I was too far away. She stabbed her sword in the roof of the carriage as she landed on it. She held tight to the hilt as she slid off the side. Kicking off the side of the carriage she landed back on top of the carriage. Nicely done. 

Stella and I were still quickly trying to catch up on either side of the rooftops. A guard climbed out from the carriage behind Kate, ready to fire an arrow at her. Stella's knife struck right into his wrist. I fired an arrow this time but at the broken wheel. The carriage spun out of control as the wheel flew off. The horses and carriage flipped onto their side, crashing into a few merchant stalls. Stella flat out jumped off a roof like Kate did but landed far better. Digging her knives into the other carriage, she kept balance. 

What is with these crazy girls? A guard climbed his way out taking hold of Stella's foot. I shot an arrow right into his back. He cried out in pain as he let go. Stella kicked him off and he tumbled into the sand. She then proceeded to climb along to the front, knocking the driver off. She grabbed hold of the reins and continued chasing the final two carriage.

Kate had managed to untether one of the horses from the knocked over carriage. Hopping aboard it she swiftly galloped towards the carriages.

"Matt!" Stella yelled to me as she halted her carraige "Hop on quickly!"

I wasted no time sliding off the roof and climbing aboard the carriage. We quickly sped after Kate and the two runaway carriages.

"He wasn't in the knocked over one!" Kate shouted over to us.

I glanced into our carriage, "He's not in this one either!"