20. In Time?

Knightly struggled with the cart. He was falling behind massively. Stella and Beda began to worry that this must be it. There's not much more he can do now. Kate bet all their money on him and he's about to lose. Knightly kicked off a small piece of the cart that was dragging against the sand. He then untied the reins from the cart and leapt off. The cart came to a grinding halt but now knightly was only holding onto the Fleckals as he slid on the piece he broke off.

"That's what Kate did to stop the land shark!" Stella yelled, now cheering for knightly as he now picked up a massive amount of speed. The crowd cheered in as well as they have not seen anybody do that in the race before. His Fleckals caught up to the next person and before long Knightly was right next to the drivers cart. They were neck and neck until the pharaoh waved his hand again. His archer fired another arrow towards the wall. This raised up a log from the sand right in front of the finish line. The log had massive spikes all along it. The other drivers cart smashed into sending the driver right into the spikes. Knightly bent backwards as he just barely missed the underside spikes, one just ripping his sleeve, as he slid into the finish line. The sixth and final racer to cross the finish line. The crowd erupted into thunderous applause. Even pharaoh Hamet stood up clapping his hands.

Beda and Stella quickly ran away from the crowd. Beda went in one direction to collect their earnings while Stella ran the other way to congratulate Knightly.

                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There's more of you?" Kate asked the girls as we followed Donner.

"The Pharaoh has more rooms in this pyramid with girls in cages just like us."

Worm grinned "Is alright if I go find all the ladies?"

"Is that for wanting to help reasons or your own personal reasons?" Kate gave him a very questionable grin.

He shrugged "You know me too well."

"Should be right around this corner." Donner came to a halt the moment we rounded the corner. Two guards were investigating the only doorway in this hall. I assumed that that is where we need to go to get out of here. The guards turned towards us and unsheathed their swords. Worm's whip cracked as it caught hold of one of their wrists. Kate dove under the whip, parried the other guards sword only to swiftly knock him out with an elbow. She was about to knock out the one Worm still had a hold of when one of the girls shouted.

"Wait!" She ran over and hugged the guard

"Camille? I've been looking for you everywhere!"

Worm let go of the guard as he hugged her back. They both got up to their feet.

"This is my brother." Camille said "These pirates are helping me and my friends escape."

"Pirates?" He looked at the lot of us then noticed Kate "You're..."

"Kate Oliver, werewolf every full moon, can we leave now?" She opened the doorway and found the hatch that Donner and Worm crawled through. I followed after Alex dropped down, I did the same except I slipped on the cold wet ground. Another crunch of glass. I opened my bag. Two of the medicine bottles that we need for Sara have broken. My heart sunk.

Kate was the last to drop down "More guards are coming we need to leave now."

She saw the look on my face and peered into the bag "We have one bottle, let's get it to Sara."

                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stella remained in the hallway with the rest of the eager spectators awaiting for Knightly to enter. She could see him standing with the other five winners. They each were stating what they were going to wish for if they win the life race tomorrow. Some, of course,  wanted gold while others asked for their loved ones back from inside the pyramid. Knightly was last to speak but Stella knew full well what he was about to say. He took a breathe in, stood tall and without looking away from Pharaoh Hamet stated "I wish to become Pharaoh."