33. That Night

"Stryker did that? Thee Stryker Oliver?" I'm completely baffled by the story Thomas just told us about Kate's father. From everyone else, Stryker seems like he was one hell of a marine and not to be messed with but this story..."

"Then he walks right out the door...completely forgetting he has no pants on!" 

Kate places a hand over her face "I'll never understand how he managed to charm my mother." 

Thomas downs his drink "At least you and your brother came from that idiot. Please tell me your little brother wasn't a fool like him?"

"He wasn't thank god." Kate takes a sip "the only problem my brother ever had was sea sickness. Couldn't take him anywhere unless you wanted the entire ship to be filled with vomit."

We all laugh at that and drink more. Eventually are laughter dies down a bit. Worm is trying to charm these ladies in the other corner of the bar while Donner tries to stop him. They have no interest in Worm but it's still fun to watch. Kate, Stella and Beda are sitting on a couch. Beda fast asleep from his drinks. Stella is too, resting her head on Kate's shoulder. Reebok isn't allowed in so I imagine he's gone to pack his things.

Thomas is standing at the window close to the couch still mingling with Kate. Alex and I are left at the table. True to Stella's word, Alex can drink. It doesn't even look like he has a buzz yet and we have been a few drinks in.

"So you don't speak a word? Not a single word?" I eye him. He just nods and takes another sip.

 "You're an odd one. You also are super strong, I wouldn't have made it up that tower if it wasn't for you."

He shrugs and pours another drink. I reach over and pour myself what's left of the bottle.

"You got yourself a nice crew here, considering your life." Thomas state's to Kate.

Kate's fingers dance around the top of her glass "They're the best and I wouldn't want anyone else."

"So what's on the agenda for you all now?"

"We're still on our journey to find pages from this book so we'll probably travel some more after this. Makes me wonder how long each of them will travel with me. They probably have their owns lives they wish to have one day. I don't want to be the one holding them back."

"For now I say it's best not to worry about that. They're all with you now so you might as well make the most of it while you can." He chuckles "Besides I don't know anyone else who'd want to hang out with a werewolf."

She smiles at that "What about you? What's next for you, Thomas?"

He thinks for a moment "Well I'm free to leave Maganti now so I might travel and find a place to open up a new shop."

"Well I have the perfect location for you." Kate takes a sip "It's a place I own. Doesn't have a blacksmith and we do have a ton of trading ships that come to the port non stop."

"Well that sounds mighty wonderful." Thomas interested "Where might this place be?"

"It's called Zona Protetta. Safe haven. Marines have no jurisdiction there and the nearby city has a deal with me. So if you do want to set up shop there, we're probably headed there next if you want to come along."

"Now" he straightens up "What kind of city would make a deal with you?"

"It's a long story" the devilish look on her face says it all. Boone stretches beneath Kate's feet.

 She nudges him with her heel and smiles.

Thomas stares down at his drink "May I ask you a question? About that night?"

The smile fades, she closes her eyes then, after a moment, opens them.

"Ask away"

"Your parents, they were these hot shots. The type of people that could take down anyone." He circles the ice around his drink "Did they go down easily or was the werewolf just too much for them?"

Kate sets her drink and gets up from the couch. This wakes up Stella, who rubs her eyes, confused Boone takes Kate's spot and barks getting everyone's attention including waking up Beda.

Thomas tries to apologize "I'm sorry if I..."

"It's alright." She wipes her hair out of her face "A lot of that night is a blur to me. Most of it returns in nightmares just to make sure I never forget..." deep breath "There is however, one moment of that night that I will never...ever forget."

"My father yelled out, shouting for everyone to run. To hide. To get away. Frantically helping anyone he could. My mother's gun rang out. She had shot it into the air. She was getting the werewolves attention away from everyone else. It worked, but the wolf killed anyone in its path towards her. She was aiming shots at its feet and keeping her distance." Kate's left hand raises up "It took a swipe at her, cut the sleeve before my father intervened. Shoving her out of the way as he raised his sword up to catch the next claw.  They fought the best I've ever seen them. They always each other's back so nothing could ever hurt the two of them."

"They both knew about the curse of Charlotte. It wasn't hard to see in their faces the moment they realized what they had to do. They had to kill the werewolf. There was no doubt in my mind that they could have. Instead I watched as my parents took each other's hand. Dropped to their knees. Dropped their weapons....and stared into those blood red eyes of the beast in front of them...they didn't see the beast staring back at them...they saw only me...Then I watched as it tour them to shreds."

Kate clutches her hand "You see Thomas, my parents were the best in the world. What defeated them wasn't the werewolf. It was that they refused to kill their little girl."

There's a silence that falls to the room. No one wishes to speak. Kate sighs and turns to face all of us.

"Lets all go and get some sleep. We'll be headed off tomorrow so we might as well get a good nights rest."