CHAPTER I ^^THATS ASHANTI^^

"Some say the darker the berry the sweeter the juice. I say the darker the berry the deeper the roots"
-Tupac

ASHANTI POV

''No please stop you don't have to do this.....noooo!!!!!!!''

As my alarm clock begins to ring my ear is is practically torn out by Ida's loud voice alerting me to come down stairs.
I wake up in a cold sweat unsure of what to do next.
I breathe hard as I recap the repeated echoing of those words in my head.

'The fifth time this week'
I mentally note.
"Ashanti get out of bed now" she yells her voice booming through my room.

I put a pillow over my head and don't respond.
'Just 5 more minutes'
But of course that was merely a fanciful thought with Ida around.
"Ashanti Raven Upanday shall I come up and wake you up my self ?" her native accent more evident than ever.

Reluctantly, I drag into my slippers and head for the bathroom. As I briefly wait for the water to heat up I peer into the mirror studying my undone silk scarf and The sleep marks pressed onto the side of my cheek.
'New year same sad, sad Ashanti' I sigh, disappointed by my reflection.

After 30 minutes of showering and trivial thoughts I get got out the shower.
Looking into my closet I manage to throw on a button up jean shirt with my signature gold chain, khakis and fresh blue converses. I sit in my vanity satisfied to see the sleep mark that seemed almost embedded into my face is all gone. Discouraged by the mere thought of doing anything more with my kinky hair I am able to slick it up in secure top knot bun. I gloss my thick lips up and put on some mascara.

I walk down stairs to see Ida prepared my favorate breakfast. Cutting the small talk I automatically dive into the cheesy eggs and take a bite out of the croissant.
'Today shall not be the day of small talk' I think matter-of-factly only pausing my feast to take a bite of the fresh fruit plated beside me.

"Good morning to you too my love" Ida sarcastically responds to the absence of my greeting.
I pause again, this time to look up at her fighting a smile tugging at my face. Unfortunately I can never be mad with her.

"Happy first day of School " she cheers.

"I'd rather not" I barely am able to mumble grateful for having been saved my a full mouth.

"Ah Ashanti, must you worry so much? Can it really be that bad especially since you look this beautiful." She smiles bright as she reaches for my collar, adjusting it slightly,
"Now go eat your breakfast "

I smile at her complement and start eating.
For as long as ive been born ida has always taken care of me when daddies away..i dont know my Mom but ida makes up for all that...
I barley got half way through before I realize I was going to be late if I dint get up.
I take 3 gaint gulps of OJ and kiss Ida on the cheek goodbye.

I speed walk towards the bus stop
Afraid of being late but when I see the BX-15 going down Lenox ave I start running.
And as I'm running only a few feet away from the bus stop, this dumb ass "money team"wanna-be little boy is skate boarding recklessly in the middle of Harlem and before I saw him coming toward me.....THUMP!!
He runs straight into me and i put my hands out trying to catch myself as i begin falling foward.

Almost instantaneously suddenly a tall figure comes from under the bus stop and sweeps me up as i am inches from landing face foward.

As we make eye contact is seem as if No body else, as big and busy Harlem is, was their.

He grips me gently but securely as I stare into his beautiful light brown eyes that besides the fall, contribute to the shaking of my knees. His broad shoulders defenetly shows off every muscle he working with....his light Carmel skin complements his pink lips and long nose. I look over his attire as I admire his Armani trench coat and fresh cut and shave.