Chapter 37: No more heroes

For every time you feel neglected, know that I loved you.
For every time you feel alone, know that your home is waiting for you to come back.
For every time you doubt yourself, know that I was certain you will make the right decision.
For every tear you shed in silence, know that my heart ached for you.
For every fear that grips your soul, know that it cannot control you.
For every dream you pursue, know that my love propels you further.
For everything that I will miss, know I bear the burden of regret.

***

I slowly open my eyes, the morning light filtering through the curtains, casting a soft glow across my room. Blinking away the remnants of a dream, I try to hold on to the fading images, but they slip from my grasp like mist in the early morning sun. A sense of disorientation lingers for a moment, as if something important eludes me. Yet, as the seconds tick by, the dream dissolves into the recesses of my mind, leaving behind nothing but a vague, elusive impression.

I stretch my arms above my head, feeling the comforting familiarity of my surroundings enveloping me like a warm embrace. Glancing at the calendar on my bedside table, I see the date—December 17, 2021.

Today's the day! Spider-Man: No Way Home is finally hitting the theaters, and I can barely contain my excitement.

I cannot believe today has finally come.

Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I feel the soft carpet tickle my bare feet, grounding me in the present moment. I take a deep breath, inhaling the familiar scent of my room—the subtle fragrance of vanilla from my favorite candle mingling with the crisp morning air.

I get out of bed, taking with me the empty bag of chips I devoured last night, and head straight to the kitchen to make myself some coffee.

As the espresso machine pours the coffee in my cup, I go back to my bedroom looking for my phone and my Iqos device so I can check the notifications and smoke a Heet.
I cannot understand where did they end up, but after removing everything from my bed I realize I don't have time for this.

I find my work phone and I try to call myself from it, but it doesn't even ring. I have to be at work in 2 hours so I quickly open my laptop and go on the FindMy app to look for my phone, but it only says last seen 6h ago in my apartment and when I try to ping it, no sound resurfaces. I groan in frustration. This cannot happen to me. I fell asleep with the phone in my hands. Where could it be?

I look at the pack of Heets and roll my eyes as my device is nowhere near. I go on the Jolted app where I can order anything I want and I order another Iqos device and I head straight into a shower.

I quickly rinse the shower gel off my body and I get out to apply the morning skin care routine. Just in time, the courier arrives and I can finally take 6 minutes to indulge myself into my nicotine addiction.

Where the hell is that damned phone? I really do not have time for this to have happened to me. How can I be so clumsy and messy to go to bed with my phone and lose it in the sheets of my bed?

I mutter under my breath, frustrated with myself for misplacing the phone. There's no time to waste, so I grab my MacBook, shove it into my bag, and tie my hair back, feeling a tad less disheveled. My phone's absence continues to weigh on my mind as I rush out the door.

I get in the subway on my way to work and I download Spotify so I can connect my earphones to this one and listen to music. Thank god it is Friday and I don't have to come back here for another two weeks.

I check my work phone's calendar and I realize I have two meetings scheduled for new clients who want to rebrand their websites and stores and I try so hard to hold in the groan of frustration as the last thing I wanted was a full day of work.